006

006 — TAIKA

"Don't touch her!"

I'm rooted to the ground, my body stiff as a statue. I think everyone is, because you can try and fire a cannon right in front of us and still nobody is going to move. It's strange, what's happening right now. Sanji lashing out at Zoro? That's normal behavior. But the reason behind it? What just came out of his mouth? How truly furious he looks right now?

Sanji's hold on Zoro's wrist loosens and his tense body softens. He tears his eyes away from me and looks down, and then he's letting go of Zoro and backing away and I'm looking up to find his eyes unreadable as he stares back at me again and nobody is understanding a damn thing. Everyone seems to have forgotten what we were doing before, even me, because why are we all here again? No one's saying anything.

Luffy is the first one to break the silence as he takes a step forward with a frown, not smiling anymore. "Sanji?"

Sanji doesn't react, he doesn't even blink. He stares and stares at me, his chest heaving with each second that passes. I can't figure out what he's trying to tell me through his gaze, but I know something's in there. Something he can't comprehend and neither can I, no matter how much I try by asking myself questions I'm unable to answer.

He takes another step back, and another one, it's like he can't look away from me and for some reason that thought grips me by the throat. But then he finally tears his eyes away with a wince and whips around to make for the door, bringing a hand to his forehead. Nami calls out his name, trying to reach for him, but he waves her off with the same hand. "Not now, Nami-san. Please, forgive me." And he's out, the door slamming shut behind him.

What the hell did just happen?

𖠳 ᐝ ꕀ

Zoro sighs. "Seems like these two won't ever get along no matter what we do." As in me and Sanji, and I can only agree with him.

We're still in the kitchen, all staring distractedly at anything but each other. Usopp, Nami, and Luffy share a seat on the bench of the table while Zoro stands by one of the circular windows and I sit on the counter by the sink. It's been a few minutes, and we're all trying to find a coherent reason why Sanji reacted that way, but so far we've failed to conclude.

"Will Sanji be okay?" Usopp asks with a concerned expression on his face, his shoulders slumped down. It looks like his whole body is in a pout.

"Nothing's wrong with him," this comes from me. "It's just his usual self." I don't know who I'm trying to convince, if them or myself. I think I don't want to read too much into it, because then, where will that leave me? I rather pretend it didn't happen at all.

Zoro chuckles, sending me a look like I'm full of garbage that makes me squirm. "Are you sure about that?"

"Something's definitely wrong with him," Nami murmurs distracted. "He's never acted like that before."

Luffy gasps loudly from the end of the table, and we all turn to him. "Does it mean Sanji is going to leave the crew?"

I hope so.

"Of course not!"

He lets out a whistled exhale. "Thank goodness. I don't know what I'd do if Sanji happened to leave the ship. Who else is going to cook that delicious meat for me?"