Shock (Chapter 37)

"Just because she's changed doesn't mean she isn't Rairi anymore."

"The fuck do you mean?! That... That thing! It barely knows how to speak– All it can do is blabber!"

"Just because she looks different doesn't mean she's not the same person."

The harsh tone that Needle stabbed Ophelia made the woman grit her teeth before she opened her mouth.

"Listen, I would mostly agree, but she's not the same anymore! As I've said, she acts like some sort of machine and–"

"Ophie..."

"Stop it! You keep saying my name for no reason!"

The whimpers that came from the machine always bothered Ophelia.

That uncanny similar whine that Rairi would give had been repetitive, each tone and inflection the same as the last.

A robot can pretend like it isn't human, but it can never be one.

"I'm okay, Ophie..."

That was a new prompt.

"Don't say shit like that..."

Don't make her wish that this program had actually been alive. That her Rairi still remained inside this machine.

Can an Angel really have humanity?

Ophelia stumbled closer to the hunk of metal, her palms spread over the crevices where her blood spilled out.

"Rairi..."

"Ophie..."

That same noise returned to her ears.

"Damn it!"

She slammed her fists on the metal, Daisuke was quick to move towards her and hold back her arms.

"Calm down!"

"How the hell can I calm down?! Do you just want me to pretend like this is okay?! We lost Rairi you fucks!"

"I..."

The girls remained speechless, either out of understanding or just to not further the anger of Ophelia.

However one woman, who cared not for emotions, spoke out.

"Rairi is still Rairi."

"Haah?!"

"See for yourself, Ophelia. Hasn't she always felt like a machine?"

"The hell–"

"She barely expresses any emotion other than being sleepy, she shuts down quickly, and she observes people in such a precise way that it almost feels like she's gathering data from them."

"Wha... How do you know what a machine is?"

"From what I can tell, it's a kind of lifeless device that seems to be similar to a golem..." Needle took note and tilted her head.

"I've always thought that Rairi had been similar to me, unable to feel."

"But she isn't like that!" Ophelia argued.

"She has so many emotions! She knows how to empathize, she's kind and understanding! Maybe a little too much!"

"Exactly." Needle scoffed.

"Just because in her outward appearance, and her initial reactions she seems to be mellow and dead, doesn't mean that she is."

Needle narrowed her gaze at the sight, Ophelia's fist had already oozed the same crimson that the machine had coughed up.