Chapter 14

Next day at karate Kreese was telling a story about one of the wars he fought in

Miguel just stretched while he told the story to Elena, Aisha and hawk.

"You gotta understand that Mogadishu in the '90s was a hellhole. Warlords controlled whole swaths of the city. My team and I were charged with cleaning the place up." The man told.

"How many warlords did you kill?" Hawk asked amazed.

"You keep track of every ant you stomp on?" Kreese asked.

Miguel scoffed while the three kids smirked.

"Badass." The boy grinned.

"Sick." Elena smiled.

"They were outgunned, we were outmanned." Kreese went on. "I tell you.. Rwanda was no joke."

"Don't you mean Somalia?" Miguel asked. "Mogadishu is in Somalia, Rwanda's a whole different country."

"Of course, Somalia." The man chuckled. "I've spent so much time in the sandbox, it all kind of bleeds together, you know?"

The three smirked and nodded while Miguel just thought the man was lying

"Listen up!" Johnny yelled. "I see we've got some new recruits. Everybody, fall in. In neat rows and lines. Time to see what you're made of."

He walked through the dojo, looking at the new students. "Straighten up, ginger twins."

Johnny looked around the dojo to see an older man.

"Sorry, parents can't stay for class. It's an insurance thing."

Elena looked at the back of the class to see a man, way too old to join.

"I'm not a dad. I... I am here to kick some ass, sir!" The man said.

"Do I know you from somewhere?" Sensei asked.

"Oh yeah, the um.. I sold you the mirror. We kind of bonded, talked about rock bands."

"Look, you're a little old. This is a class for teenagers." Johnny made clear.

"Well, I.. I can take them." The man chuckled. "I'm not afraid of kids, sir. An- and my mom, she doesn't charge me rent, so I just.. I got a lot of cash to burn." He got some cash from his pocket.

"Yeah." Johnny took the money. "We'll consider this a trial run."

"I thought my last group of recruits was pathetic." Johnny said while going to the front of the class again. "But if you do what I tell you to do, you'll at least have a chance of becoming a fighter. But to do that, you gotta fight. So, which one of you has the balls to take on the champ?"

Of course Elena wanted to fight Miguel even though he's her best friend. But he only said this to the new recruits so she sadly couldn't.

After a long bit of silence someone finally spoke up.