Chapter 2 : Unfanthomable Schemes

(5 years later)

Time have passed quickly for our Main Character.

The now 20 years old Aether was with his father and older brother playing a card game he 'invented', or rather brought to this world from Earth.

The perfect card game to heal a dysfunctional family and reform broken bond : The Uno.

"You can play Aether"

Adam put down a reverse card on the table, changing the sense from which people take turn.

"No, you play" Aether also put down a reverse card.

"No no, I insist" Adam added another reverse card.

"Boys, if you don't want your old man to play with you, you should just say so" Oliver joked.

"Oh I'm so sorry father, here, I'm letting you play" Aether acted like he had compassion for his father.

Before putting down a +4 card.

"Damnit !" The old Emperor shouted.

The chaotic, yet good ambiance was stopped when a guard muttered something to the Emperor's ear.

"I'm sorry boys, but I'll have to stand down for this game" Oliver dropped his cards and stood up ready to go "I'll be seeing you for tonight diner"

As their father left the room, Aether and Adam continued their game alone.

"You good Adam ? you look a little frustrated"

"Well... That idiot of Emric is doing everything he can to gain father's favors and try to get a hold of the heir title"

If in the past Oliver III had a lot of disdain for his third son, a lot of things happened during the five last years.

"You know me, I remain neutral from the whole succession battle. I won't support anyone, not even you"

Aether made himself very clear on this point to everyone, that way he was left alone by the different factions and could focus on his researches while they were at each other's throat.

"Yes I know, I just want your wise advices"

"... I personally think we would be better off without all this conflict of interest"

"What do you mean ?"

"It would be better if you were declared as the heir to the throne"

Adam was happy to hear this from his brother "Right !? It's only natural since I'm the eldest sibling, the throne should rightfully be mine !"

"Surely your position as the eldest sibling would brought some stability within the Empire, but this isn't the reason why I think you should be the next Emperor"

"Huh ? Then why should I ?"

"You're the only candidate that isn't backed by another faction, if another one of our siblings took over the throne, they would become the puppet of their faction"

"What ?!" Adam didn't thought about this "We can't let our family being controlled by others !!"

"This is precisely why should stop fighting and start ruling together as a family, with you the eldest son as the next Emperor and our siblings using their skills and influence to expand our control"

"So I should convince our siblings to abandon the title and instead join me for the sake of our family ?"

"That's what I think" Aether dropped his last card, winning the game "If you plan to do this, you should start with Emric. He might be an idiot, but his management skills could become a pillar of your rule. Plus, if you manage to convince him, our other siblings might get curious and come to you by themselves"