Part Three | A Bear At The Door

******

Silver Hammer Inn/Belhaven

Quite an establishment this, many call it the pearl of Belhaven. It's about the only place worth visiting in this rancid city. It was the Witcher's first stop, as is the tradition. Inns are a great place to gather information about potential employment opportunities. Since he was here seeking business, the Inn proved to be the logical starting place. From the outside, it looked folksy, delightful and pleasant. Hardwooden planks and layered bricks made up most of the building's outer structure.
It was impossible to see through the closed windows in the front, but the thrilled sounds from within bore a good omen.

******

"Have you heard? Folk are telling stories of those vampeers climbing down the mountain and making dinner of anything they spot."

"Aye, my auntie was fishing down west of the Sansretour inlet. Some days ago a hunter found what was left of her corpse all dried up like a bale of hay. Mentioned some details which i'd rather not repeat. She was a good woman, not deservant of such a fate." The voice paused for a moment, gathering breath.
"See Thomil over there? He's been soaking himself for the past two days. His young tyke, the beasts got him too. Hungry bloodsuckers is the last thing we need around here. The situation is bloody enough as it is with the war and all."

"Poor Thomil, I can't imagine what that feels like. As for Yaha, well we both know she was an old witch. You're full of shite. On another note. Don't you know the war is finished? They killed Radovid*."

"I wasn't aware of this. How does a news like that miss my ears? I thought of myself as a worldwide fellow. How'd it happen?"

"News hasn't spread too far yet, but I had the pleasure of reading about it from my cousin out of Novigrad*. She explained It all too well in the letter, said the city was under lockdown for the day. Mentioned an ambush."

"By Nilfgaard?"

"No, Temerians. The Blue Stripes* cornered him and his escort on Temple Isle. Most likely Emhyr* promised to make Temeria* into an independent vassal state to the empire if they killed Radovid. We will see what time brings."

"We will indeed. I'd say, if there's one man on the continent who deserved to be put the sword it was Radovid."

"It's not Emhyr Var Emreis, the white flame dancing on the graves of his foes?"

"How do you judge him? By these stupid monikers they give him? No. You don't see Emhyr invading his allies. I was in Kaedwen* when Radovids soldiers marched across the Kestrel Mountains into the land. Kaedwen was weakened, with King Henselt in the grave Radovids army strolled trough any meager resistance, killing all but those who could fight."

"Point taken. How did you escape?"

"Shattering tale. I don't wish to speak of it."

"Alright, I understand. Talking about politics always leaves me feeling empty too."

"Thanks. What were we talking about beforehand? The monster attacks?