Chapter Eighteen

It felt as if the air around Ella chilled when she opened her door out into the quiet hallway, the only thing that filled it with sound were the portentous snores of her father. She breathed in slowly, cloning her eyes, and shook away tension growing in her heart; taking a confident step forward she began heading towards the stairs. Once she passed Felix's bedroom her confidence seemed to dwindle once more as she hesitated before placing her next foot down but continued on, biting her tongue at her own thoughts.

As Ella reached the bottom of the stairs she was still able to hear the faint sounds of her father's snores which made her smile a little as she made her way into his office. She went around hoping and searching for a second door but wasn't able to find such a thing.

Ella tried to relax her heart and mind but nothing she did worked and it only seemed to become more unsteady. She dug her hands into her pocket pulling out a charger box with a hidden camera and microphone. Racing to the outlet which showed the back half of the room, she fumbled, slipping and dropping the adaptor before inserting it into the wall. Ella's blood pumped full of adrenaline as she ran out of the office but the absence of her father's snores trailing down the stairway, turned the floor beneath her to cement.

She finally begins to shake her fear at the sound of a door knob clicking. With light feet she walked over to a spot underneath the stairs and behind a chair, soon after Gabriel's office doors swooshed open and closed. Ella waited patiently as she forced her eyes open, never tearing her eyes away from large black and silver doors. Until she reached a point where she couldn't stay up any longer and she fell straight to sleep.