1

[ DEDICATED TO: ]

My incredible friend, Acantha14 for being the best helper I could have ever imagined and writing this amazing summary <3

The crowd erupted in cheers, once they've break free of the spell with which the magician had intoxicated their senses. Intertwining his hands with his sister's as they elegantly bowed, he felt a smile blooming on his lips.

If someone asked him when did the Opera looked the best he'd say that it was a simple question. During their performances when the audience's eyes glimmered at the illusion the young magicians laid in front of them. Young and old, patricians and plebeians, humans and melusines: their illusions managed to trick all.

The audience's applause reached a crescendo as the illusion he created to deceive his own eyes began to unravel itself.

The great magician was a man of thousand faces. If you asked in the streets of the City of Justice who the charming magician was, you would've received various different answers. To many he was nothing but a skilled illusionist, able to awaken in his audience the little naive child buried inside their heart. Others described him as an idol, a caring older brother. Yet to some he was a liar.

To those that affirmed this he himself didn't know whenever those words described or not his real nature. Sometimes, his own ability to manipulate 

His ability to tell falsehoods surprised even himself, being in the same way as magic: for him it was second nature, something that came as naturally to him as breathing. However, he had long mastered that nature to the point he could deceive even himself .

Right in front of his eyes, the stage began to change.

He no longer was in the Opera Epiclese front of his usual audience. 

Eyes filled with a sickening interest fell on them as his grip on his sister's hand tightened even so slightly. Praises and admiration fell on them like an incessant rain. He tightened his grip around his sister's hand as if fearing that, just like that fateful night , she would be tored away from him. Lynette gazed at him, reading past his characteristic charming smile the maelstrom of his mind.

"Lyney" she called him, meeting his gaze for a brief moment. "'Father' would't let anything happen, you know" as the curtain fell, her eyes came back to the audience as the drone scene slowly closed.

On the other side of the crimson curtain, a man with a blizzard in his eyes was looking at the stage with the manner of someone waiting for a hunt to begin.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

In Fontaine sin and entertainment danced together in an intricate waltz. To Fontaine life was nothing but a show to perform, a melodrama with an ending that had already been written in which justice prevails over evil. 

Or this was how it was supposed to appear in the spectators' eyes. Schadenfreude, a malicious amusement, a sinister glimmer in people's eyes. The feelings of those who represented this farce were not unknown to Lyney, both as a Magician and a Fatuus.

And tonight the people that surrounded them most belong to this type of people.

"Sir, is there anything bothering you?" asked a daughter of nobility more for the sake of beginning a conversation rather than actual concern.

Whatever thought had crossed his mind turned into dust as these words were spoken. "Ah, looks like not even my greatest tricks might be able to fool your eyes, Mademoiselle" he giggled. "Yet you're not mistaken, I was just thinking that in the presence of such a fair ladies a mare man like me can't help but being enchanted, don't you think so?" Lyney asked while shifting his amethyst eyes to a man that seemed to be one of those dames' aquitence .

Gasps filled the room, as some of them blushed lightly at the romantic bravado. Surprising, enchanting- such was magic. But in order not to become insane, Lyney had long promised himself to reflect the image that others expected from him. Magicians were surrounded by an halo of mystery, a veil of romance. In the eyes of others he was someone who the laws of rationality couldn't define, someone able to steal people hearts by only using his words.

But as a good libertine, Lyney knew that in order to fulfil the prophecy imposed by others, he had to appear as one who does not value the feelings of others.

His amethyst eyes scanned through the ballroom, searching for his sister's familiar figure as she entertained nuisances in her stand-by mode. Yet, his gaze met a pair of eyes cold as a blizzard.

The 'pray' that 'Father' was seeking was finally before his eyes.

Welcome to this new fic, old or new readers~ Before we start here's some things about this fic:

-this fic is set before Fontaine's archon quest

-Mc is named with a last name and this won't determine MC's identity since it's something they use for a certain reason

-the eventual tws will appear at the chapter's beginning

-please bear with me the awful eventual french- it will be used at the minimum but feel free to correct me when i get something wrong though.