Chapter 1: Pilot

University sucked.

It hadn't even started yet, but you could already tell what your fate at this new school would be. You stood in the front courtyard, staring at the building in front of you while its gleaming 24-karat gold gates blocked you from making the escape you so desperately desired. An enormous clocktower cast a shadow on your form, embellished to the tip with rich architecture and topped with a long, probably gold, spire. Even the grass you stood on was lush and cut to perfection, no blemish in sight.

You weren't a fan.

Everything in your vicinity screamed of pride, yet you saw nothing to be proud of. Just the elite trying to flaunt their wealth in each other's faces, desperate to be seen as the most affluent. You'd witnessed this game so much growing up, that the glittering golds and sparkling reds did nothing to faze you anymore.

What you truly wished for was to be anywhere but here, in this courtyard full of students you would have to learn alongside starting today. Coming to this school was no decision of your own and you hated being forced into things.

But... a part of you couldn't help thinking that maybe this was better. You knew that ultimately it was your tragic mood that was dampening your outlook on this school and, although it wasn't exactly the best place in the world for you, it was definitely better than what you had before. Maybe you should be grateful for being thrown here, a place that finally allowed you to get away from-

"Hah!"

Your thoughts came to a sudden halt as you heard the sound of a new commotion brewing amongst a small group of students. At first, you thought they were just noisily playing around, but once you took in the scene properly, you realised that you were wrong.

A group of about three students stood a few metres away from you, laughing altogether as they pointed at something on the ground. They all wore the same uniform as the one you were wearing, with a mixture of maroon, brown, and off-white topped off with a gold emblem in the shape of the academy's logo pinned to their chest.

When your gaze dropped, you noticed a guy lying on the floor between them, his arms propping himself into a sitting position as his eyes stayed fixed on the floor. He was also in the academy's uniform, with a light brown fringe that did a poor job of hiding a pair of bright purple eyes. The rest of his hair was covered by a maroon beanie, as if he were trying to hide as much of himself as possible. Aside from that, you could only make out the slope of his nose and plush lips.

You waited for the guy, who had clearly been pushed to the ground, to get back up and give them a piece of his mind. But instead he stayed put, with his head held low and gaze straying from the eyes of the group of three towering over him. His apparent shyness only made the students laugh more as they realised he probably wasn't going to retaliate.

The sigh that escaped your lips was heavy. You'd think university-aged students would act a little more mature and not like high school bullies who shoved kids in lockers for fun. But then again, these kids were the children of the elite and wealthy. It's not like they'd be getting taught any great lessons from their families...

You debated if you should step in and tell them off. The guy didn't seem like he was going to start defending himself and the students clearly weren't going to stop after realising that. Everyone else seemed engrossed in their own conversations as they waited for the first class' bell to go off. Which left you as his only hope.

If you were being entirely honest with yourself, you didn't want to. People like him deserved a little misery from time to time and, if he wasn't even going to stand up for himself, why should you?