Chapter 8

2 DEC 2020

Sunlight streamed through the ornate windows of Kensington Palace, casting a warm glow on the meticulously arranged breakfast room. Prince William and Duchess Kate sat across from each other, a heavy silence hanging in the air. Gone were the usual smiles and easy conversation, replaced by a mixture of exhaustion and lingering tension.

A half-eaten breakfast sat untouched in front of William, while Kate nervously fiddled with her wedding ring. The interview with Alexandra the night before had been a media spectacle, and the weight of the public's reaction was palpable. Newspapers were plastered with headlines praising Alexandra's poise and honesty, a stark contrast to the criticism aimed at the Palace's handling of the situation.

Taking a deep breath, William finally broke the silence. "That was..." he trailed off, searching for the right words.

"Difficult," Kate finished, her voice barely a whisper.

"Yes," William agreed, a flicker of pride momentarily breaking through the worry etched on his face. "She handled herself with such poise."

"Indeed," Kate sighed, "though it broke my heart to hear about her isolation. We tried our best, William, you know that."

William reached across the table, taking her hand in his. "I know, darling. The circumstances were..." he paused, searching for the right term, "unprecedented."

"Unprecedented," Kate echoed, a bitter edge to her voice. "Perhaps the Palace should have chosen a different word for keeping our own daughter a secret all these years. She did brilliant, maybe you should accept that your strategy of dealing with the media and her has been failing enormously."

William winced, avoiding eye contact with Kate. He understood her frustration, but there were things she simply wouldn't understand – the pressure to maintain a pristine image for the crown, the fear of public scrutiny.

"We did what we thought was best at the time," William said defensively. "We were young and unprepared for parenthood."

"But clearly, it wasn't enough, William," Kate countered, her voice softening. "She deserves a chance to know her family, to have a normal life – as normal as it can be for a princess. But above all, we deserved to act as her parents. Now it seems too late. She's an adult."

William squeezed her hand, a mixture of concern and frustration playing on his features. "She'll have that now. And we'll be there for her, every step of the way."

Kate met his gaze, a silent plea in her eyes. "We have to be, William. She needs us now more than ever."

William nodded solemnly. The interview had brought home a harsh reality – the years of secrecy had created a distance between them and their daughter. Now, the hard work of rebuilding their bond, of becoming a true family, could finally begin.

A soft knock at the door startled them. A young footman entered, a hesitant look on his face. "Your Royal Highnesses," he stammered, "Princess Alexandra is requesting an audience before you both deliver your interview."

A flicker of surprise crossed William's face, followed by a hesitant smile. "Thank you," he said, a touch of relief ringing in his voice. It was the first Alexandra had spoken to them since the news broke, and William, despite everything, held onto a sliver of hope that this could be a chance for reconciliation. However, a pang of guilt shot through him as he realised Alexandra hadn't responded to his own messages. Perhaps this audience wouldn't be quite the family reunion he'd envisioned.

The tension in the opulent sitting room was thick enough to slice. Alexandra, clad in a simple yet elegant cream blouse and dark trousers, stood before her parents, a guarded expression on her face. William and Kate sat on a plush sofa, their usual regal postures replaced by a nervous stiffness.