Chapter V

07:03:2024 17:27

Moorhead, Minnesota was a grim place to be, at least for the muddy season between the terrifying howls of winter and the remarkably unremarkable spring. When Jay had entered the metropolitan area–if one could even call it that–his eyes could not believe that both of the major cities were entirely spread out before him. The land was as flat and gray as a forgotten slice of cheese with the first fuzzy layer of mold. He wished this trip to be the first and only time he ventured to the Red River Valley.

He arrived by interstate into the city limits about 30 minutes before the planned meetup. Since he was not the expected guest, he knew he had to show up on time, not early or late. With his extra minutes, Jay stopped at a local Jewish joint and grabbed a bagel before staking out the spot. He had done a little research on the town beforehand, listening to materials regarding Moorhead's historic downtown along with audios detailing the street system. He was not exactly happy about the chosen location, but he knew it also could have been much, much worse.

Jay parked his car in one of the abandoned parking lots surrounding the substantial building. His crusty 2004 Toyota Corolla (the best Jackson could give him on short notice) blended in seamlessly with the empty pavement. The Moorhead Center Mall appeared clunky and out of place with the rest of the older, grander structures nearby. An obese, widespread conglomerate from a past suburban era, it had not once been remodeled or updated since its opening decades before.

Tucking his weapon inside his coat pocket, he could see why this location had been desirable for the other party. Although cold, the weather was rather flat and unassuming. The time was often when people would already be milling about. Even the location, which Jay learned from a news report was due for demolition later in the year, was disregarded by the town but not enough so to collect unnecessary attention. It was the eyesore that the residents and officials tried to ignore. As long as Jay was quiet, they could continue doing so.

Shuffling across the barren blacktop landscape, Jay was able to find an unlocked door into the lobby of the old mall. The message had not detailed exactly which part of the building they were set to meet in, but he had a hunch it was meant to be in the sole flagship store's remains. A large open expanse easy to study and not terribly difficult to maintain control of, it seemed like a perfect set-up for his mystery criminal. The cut chain on the main doors were an added bonus.

Jay swung the wide doors open, the old wood softly screeching as they followed their old, familiar grooves. The former flagship store was now mostly empty, but thankfully in notably better shape than the Eugene complex had been. Near the back were what remained of the past departments: signs, a few shelves, an old couch, some mirrors, and even a mannequin with graffiti across its upper chest and pelvic area. But besides the dust and cobwebs, Jay did not see anyone else. The floor was completely empty.

Although hesitant, the assassin stepped his way towards the pillar located around the middle of the room. Jay thought he could already see everything in the expanse, but a new, more centralized position would confirm that. It took him less than a minute to make it to the new position. He checked his watch to confirm he was at least on time. It took him less than a second to hear the click of a trigger. He instantly swiveled, an almost-silent bullet puncturing the pillar he had placed himself beside.

Jay twisted his body as he avoided another bullet, this one a little bit closer than the last. With a bated breath, he rolled back and behind the pillar, taking a second to evaluate how he had not noticed anyone in the space beforehand. Jay did not have the time to think however as Jay the wind of another bullet dug itself into the concrete beside his foot. The pillar was not thick enough to completely hide his entire body.

Scouting his possibilities, Jay noticed an option beside one of the shelves a few yards in front of him to the left. Fortunately this would also place him in the opposite direction of his assailant. Jay knew it would be a risk to travel that far, especially with only partial cover, but he had to take the chance. He had scrambled out of worse situations, and what he needed to structure himself with a shield.