Chapter 6

A/N: Happy kaya tayo pagdating sa dulo? 😅

***

P: Wala ka tonight? 

“Rain, thank you sa pag-volunteer, ha,” the tall brunette smiled kindly. “Malaking group daw kasi ‘to. Hindi kakayanin ng powers ko.”

P: Are you not feeling well?

She locked her phone, returned the other girl’s smile, and smoothed the skirt of her midnight blue bandeau dress. While Roxy had come to terms with the incredibly short length of their “uniforms,” the slit that came with her current dress was a new source of discomfort.

“Wala ‘yon, Kim. Kailangan ko rin kasi,” she admitted.

The memory of her Ate Ria sobbing during their video call that morning was still fresh in Roxy’s mind. After a careful review of their work contract, they were advised that she, along with 41 other nurses, would be sent home the following month. The thing is, the sisters agreed to use their house as a collateral when Ria applied for a personal loan before leaving the country. If they won’t be able to pay down said loan, their small family might end up homeless.

“Nabanggit nga ni Ma’am Maricar. Alam mo, sa Riyadh rin nagtrabaho yung ex ko,” the girl said while finishing her braid. “Eventually, nakapag-asawa ng Australian kaya ngayon masaya na sa Sydney yung hayop na manloloko.”  

Remembering a clip she saw online, Roxy commented, “Sana matadyakan siya ng kangaroo,” and they both burst out laughing.

Her phone alerted her to a new text message.

P: You’re not avoiding me again, are you?

After their argument in his car two weeks ago, Roxy made a real effort to reply to his messages timely. It wasn’t hard, really. Because his fascination with her was reciprocated. To Roxy, Pablo was an enigma. 

He was fiercely independent, yet he would never say no to any home cooked meal whipped by his Mamita. He worked hard to be distinguished from his Lolo, but he never failed to heed his every beck and call. He was notoriously known for being the Caballero heir, but in some ways, he’s also a self-made man, building Golden Mare from the ground up, refusing the help and connections that his name alone could have access to. 

He’s an unapologetic flirt, an infamous player, yet in the past couple of weeks, he made her feel as if she was the only woman in the world.

Roxy read the last three messages again. She already made up her mind. But the impulse to give in and talk to him, even just through text was quite strong. 

Some days, she couldn’t even put her phone down - too eager to hear about his day no matter how vague the details were. Once, she had to lock her phone inside her room just so she could do something productive.  

This time, she refused to let her wants take rule. For now, she wouldn’t tell him her whereabouts. Although she was already counting down the minutes until he found out. Because he would find out eventually. And a tiny part of her knew that he wouldn’t be too happy about her plan. 

“Okay dito sa super duper mega VIP rooms, Rain,” the other girl reassured her. “Nagpapaulan sila ng salapi.” Then she looked at her in the eyes and said, “Malilikot nga lang yung mga kamay nila dito. So kung hindi handa yung sikmura mo doon, ngayon pa lang magsabi ka na.”

She swallowed thickly, but nodded eagerly. She couldn’t let her nerves take the wheel or she would be screwed.

“Once naka-17k ako sa Aztec. Kailangan i-beat natin ‘yon tonight, ha?” Kim smiled kindly.