Chapter 2: Global Darkness

"Sharpened?" The shopkeeper was extremely surprised by Chuhan's request to sharpen the weapons. This young man came in, picked a hammer-axe without a word, and then requested to have it sharpened. If this axe were to be sharpened, its power and sharpness would be remarkable!"Sharpened, the sharper, the better," Chuhan remained calm, but he didn't realize that his calm demeanor, combined with the unflinching gaze he had developed from the apocalypse, shook the shopkeeper to his core."Young man..." the shopkeeper was about to speak.Clang!Suddenly, a dagger was placed on the counter, and Chuhan's voice rang out, "Sharpen this dagger for me too. I'll give you two thousand in total. I'll come back tonight to pick it up, here's a thousand as a deposit."Chuhan sealed the shopkeeper's lips without leaving any room for negotiation. He even raised the price, although the dagger was worth no more than two hundred.The shopkeeper swallowed hard, deciding not to argue over money with him.Chuhan immediately left to gather other items. Time didn't allow him to haggle here.The axe was for dealing with zombies, while the dagger was for defense against humans.In the early stages of the apocalypse, things were still manageable, but as the time when the world was completely surrounded by zombies approached, moral and humanity would quickly deteriorate. People would commit heinous acts for a piece of biscuit, and some would even resort to cannibalism out of desperation.In fact, what he wanted more than the dagger was a trench knife, but most of the ones on the market were subpar, poorly designed and even anti-human. They not only failed to fulfill the purpose of a trench knife but also severely impeded agility.Good trench knives, like military hammers, weren't easy to come by.Next, Chuhan bought a hiking backpack, waterproof and tear-resistant. He was already prepared for long-term mobility. Although the country would send troops for rescue, there wasn't enough time. He also needed to go back to Anluo City to pick up his parents. He dismantled all the straps and miscellaneous items on the backpack; zombies had hearing too, and unnecessary items would only cause trouble.Then, Chuhan bought the most expensive clothes of his life, a set of over a thousand yuan mountaineering clothes. They were dirt-resistant, quick-drying, and of excellent quality. He didn't want to end up running halfway naked like in his previous life.After that, Chuhan bought some medicines and gauze. These were rare items in the apocalypse. He then filled the water bladder in the backpack. After completing these tasks, he used the remaining money to buy dried biscuits and beef jerky, stuffing the backpack to the brim.He didn't need to eat the best food; he just needed to survive. Dried biscuits and beef jerky could be stored for a long time. As for the rest, he had only this much money on him, and having too much stuff might hinder his mobility.By the time he finished all this, it was already dusk. The sky was clear, the sun was warm, and there was no smell of decay or blood-stained streets... Chuhan stood at a crossroads, looking at the last sunset before the apocalypse, feeling a mixture of emotions.

Three months after the apocalypse broke out, people with special abilities began to emerge. Two of his three roommates were among them, but it was him who survived after ten years.He was an insignificant figure, an ordinary person, but he managed to survive. During this time, he experienced...Buzz...The phone in his pocket suddenly vibrated again. Chuhan took it out and looked at the twenty missed calls, all from the same person."Hello," Chuhan pressed the answer button."You're looking for trouble!!" An angry female voice came from the phone, accompanied by the sound of a water glass slamming onto the table.Chuhan moved the phone away and glanced at the name on the screen: Ding Xue.To be honest, in the past ten years of the previous apocalypse, he had known at least twenty people named Ding Xue. However, after returning to ten years ago, he couldn't remember who this Ding Xue was."What's the matter?" Chuhan said as he walked, turning back to take one last look at the setting sun before heading towards the weapon shop to collect the dagger and the axe."I've called you over twenty times, and you didn't pick up any of them!" Ding Xue's voice on the other end was filled with frustration. She was like a roaring lioness, "Why didn't you come to take the exam today? Do you know that if you don't take the exam, you won't even have the chance to make it up? You'll have to retake the course next semester! Do you not want to attend classes properly? Do you not want to graduate..."Ding Xue kept rambling on the phone. At this moment, Chuhan's footsteps suddenly paused. He finally remembered who this person was - she was the monitor from his university days! Ding Xue's personality didn't match her name at all. When she got angry, she could charge straight into the male dormitories."Monitor, are you doing okay?" Chuhan showed a nostalgic smile. He didn't know how Ding Xue fared in the previous life. Since the outbreak of the apocalypse, he hadn't seen her. She might have died, or turned into a zombie..."You're asking if I'm okay?" Ding Xue snorted coldly, "Just wait to retake the course next semester!""Monitor, do you want to buy some food?" Out of courtesy, Chuhan reminded her. Although he had almost forgotten about Ding Xue from the past life, he had spent two years as her classmate, after all."Don't change the subject!" Ding Xue was indeed a monitor; her thoughts weren't easily diverted by Chuhan."Buy some food and mineral water," Chuhan didn't say much, and he hung up the phone directly. With ten years of survival experience in the apocalypse, this was already the most he could do out of kindness."Hello? Hello?" In the dormitory, Ding Xue was trembling with anger, her chest heaving up and down due to extreme frustration. She was the pride of heaven, a beautiful and wealthy girl, excelling in academics and work. She was used to hanging up on people, used to commanding others. When did it become Chuhan, this trailing car, who was ignoring her calls?"Bastard!" Ding Xue, who had always had it easy, couldn't hold back. Tears streamed down her face as she felt especially wronged by such cold treatment for the first time in her life.

Coming to the weapon shop, Chuhan handed over the last 1,000 yuan to the shopkeeper. Then, under the shopkeeper's peculiar gaze, he took the axe and the dagger and left. It was fortunate that the shopkeeper had wrapped these two items securely; otherwise, if he had appeared on the streets holding an axe in one hand and a dagger in the other, it would have caused panic even before the apocalypse arrived.Back in the dormitory, Chuhan used hot water to prepare the remaining two buckets of instant noodles. Such junk food was already considered delicious in his eyes.Chuhan took off his pants intending to change into the mountain climbing suit. During the outbreak of the apocalypse, there would be six hours of darkness. During that time, everyone, even all life forms, would fall into a coma. When they woke up, the world would have changed drastically. Eighty percent of humans would have turned into zombies. Moreover, the temperature would drop significantly during this period. Chuhan was used to making all necessary preparations, so he decided to put on the climbing suit early.Wearing the climbing suit and placing the axe beside him, this was the most familiar position for his past self. As long as there was danger, he could immediately grasp the weapon.Next, he tied the dagger to the outside of his right forearm with a strap. He was used to holding long weapons in his right hand and a dagger in his left. This position not only made it easy to draw the dagger with his left hand but also provided protection for his right forearm. It was because of this binding position that he had once avoided the danger of almost losing his arm.After completing all this, it was ten o'clock at night, still eight hours away from the arrival of the apocalypse.------The quiet of the night passed, and the morning sun shone brightly.The time on the phone was 6:00 AM on July 4, 2015.Then, the screen went black.The sky outside the window, which had already brightened, suddenly turned dark. No part of the world could see the sun.------In the dormitory corridor, there were chaotic sounds, familiar zombie roars, accompanied by women's screams...Wait, why would there be women in the male dormitory?Chuhan was stunned for a moment when he woke up, then shook his head. Perhaps ten years ago today, he had also been stunned, but he had forgotten, as it was just a minor shock compared to everything else.Getting up, Chuhan suddenly felt that something was wrong. He instinctively picked up his phone, but it wouldn't turn on.Bitter smile. No one knew what had happened during the six-hour darkness until five years later, when a certain professor proposed the "Return to the Beginning Theory."Return to the origin, back to primitive times.The change in the Earth's magnetic field altered data. Previous academic knowledge was overturned, and a large amount of things needed to be re-explored and studied. Everything that humans were familiar with was completely disrupted and reorganized, including human genes. One of the biggest disasters caused by this change was that eighty percent of humans turned into zombies.Fortunately, not everything changed. There was still a small part left for humans to survive. Energy remained eternal; fire could provide warmth, oil could burn, and cars could still run.The dormitory door was being pounded by zombies outside, and there were occasional sharp objects scraping against the door, emitting an unpleasant sound. Those were the nails of zombies, extremely sharp and hard compared to humans'.Chuhan took out a piece of compressed biscuit and started nibbling on it. The apocalypse had arrived, the battle for survival had begun, and his first choice was to replenish his energy.Currently, these zombies remain at the most basic level, their movements are sluggish, their senses feeble, and their strength insufficient. Apart from their slightly frightening appearance, as long as one possesses weapons and faces them in small numbers, they are hardly formidable. At present, the school is in the midst of exam week, with a large number of students having already left campus. Only a small fraction of individuals remain, those who still have exams pending. Therefore, Mingqiu University is not truly dangerous compared to other places at this moment. This is also why he chose to return to the dormitory before the apocalypse arrived.After finishing his dry biscuits, Chuhan glanced out the window. Although the sun had reappeared, the sky remained dim and murky. Downstairs, many zombies were gathered together, feasting on something. The ground was littered with bones covered in flesh and blood.The sudden outbreak happened too swiftly and directly. Chuhan even felt that these zombies had 'awakened' earlier than humans. Chuhan rose to his feet, shouldered his bag, and tightly gripped the iron axe in both hands. His physical strength was currently insufficient, and wielding the axe single-handedly was too strenuous. Although this axe could only be considered a 'small weapon' in his past life.In the moment of gripping the iron axe, his once calm eyes instantly transformed.Fierce, brutal, like a savage beast ready to devour! In order to survive, to protect his parents and three brothers, he was now capable of doing anything!