Chapter 2 : 1. Return to Hogwarts

as he drank some of his tea. Yes, it would be nice to live in something other than constant fear. He had no reason to believe it but hope was already blossoming within him. Harry knew it might just be taken away from him. Except that for the moment, at least a few days, he wanted to enjoy it a little. All that was left to do was tell Ron. Except that moment didn't come immediately as they found themselves facing cars loaned by the Ministry for his protection.

His protection against Sirius Black. His godfather. So shocked to be taken in by Voldemort, he had forgotten that the man was related to him, that he was… his family. It was so much to swallow, to bear. In fact, he understood that a part of him was in such a state of anxiety. He had too much to think about and without the ability to talk about it...

Once on the train, after Arthur Weasley's almost fatal warning about his godfather, Harry tried to act as usual. Which he did quite well even if Ron decided to sulk a little because he was giving up divination. Harry understood, they had said they would do as little as possible together and Voldemort was changing their plan. Even as a 'nice' man, the man made a mess of his life. Harry watched as Hermione lectured their friend about the ambitions he should have for the future. The redhead seemed even less motivated but he didn't have an argument, the sleeping presence of the new defense against the dark arts professor kept them from expressing themselves too loudly. Draco Malfoy's visit itself was cut short and then suddenly, the train stopped. Except they weren't in Hogsmeade yet. Harry shivered, overcome with a bad feeling, fear rose within him. And then, he had the impression of being surrounded by a warmth that he couldn't even describe. He heard the doors opening and closing. And finally, he saw the thing that had frozen the whole place, felt more than saw the professor react. He heard something, someone screaming, a woman, but he stayed wide awake to see this creature breathing the air before being chased away by a luminous shape.

When the train resumed its course, they were able to question their teacher who explained to them that they had just met a Dementor, one of the guards of Azkaban, the wizarding prison. Harry knew immediately that it was to find Sirius Black. He pitied the man in the face of these filthy creatures. Especially if Voldemort had spoken the truth and he was innocent, at least that was what he had guessed between the lines. Why did he believe it so easily? Because of Parseltongue? Harry had a headache once at Hogwarts. No matter how he twisted the problem, he didn't see how to warn the adults, or even if he would listen. He glanced quickly at Headmaster Dumbledore and looked down. Hard to say and he came to think not. The dismissals to the Dursleys had already proven it. His safety was far from a priority for any adult present. It was up to him to take care of it however he could. Although possibly, someone just wanted to take care of him. He shouldn't believe it, hope hurt too much. It was already glowing...

Lying down in Gryffindor Tower left him with a strange taste after all that. In less than two days, he felt both more different and more himself. He lay down next to Ron who was already snoring loudly, already so peacefully asleep. Harry closed his curtains to be well surrounded, in his cocoon and closed his eyes. He rubbed his chest, it was a little difficult to breathe, to regain real calm. He had been pretending all day, now alone in front of himself and still alive, he no longer knew what to think or do. Should he still try to show the letters? Should he try to answer it? No, he would hate to put Hedwig at risk. His poor owl didn't deserve to be in danger by meeting the worst dark mage of the century... Harry stopped denying the evidence that hung at the end of his nose. Already, it could only be Voldemort, Parseltongue proved it. Furthermore, he couldn't say anything, he was incapable of fighting against the constraints, against the promise that he would be taken care of. As if he had been waiting for this all his life. The thought brought tears to his eyes and he fell asleep after sobs.

******

Dear Harry,