Chapter 1: The Diary

Mondays are the worst. Most people think I'm talking about work or school, having to come back after a short break. No. No, my Mondays are different. My Mondays are a curse.

You see... It's never NOT Monday.

It's always Monday.

It's always this bleak winter day in February, the fifth day into the month, in the year 2024.

It all began the fourth day of February, 2024. I was gifted a diary by my grandmother. She often gave me trinkets and little gifts when she came over, some of which were of dubious magical quality. A few had been genuine.

Her love for me was bigger than any prejudice about my lifestyle. When I had announced I was converting to pagan witch, she dove headfirst into finding me things to help me on my path.

"The young lady at the shop said that this diary is quite special," my grandmother had said to me. "Whatever your thoughts, whatever you wish for, the diary will try its best to give you. Use it with caution, Adi."

She was also the only one to use my chosen name of Adi. And my they/them pronouns.

"Did they give you anything aside from the diary?" I asked, looking it over. The cover was a solid black leather with a silver lock on the front. A sinuous line down the spine was its only other decoration. It did look to be older.

"Look at the first page, Adi," she said,  tapping the lock. "They gave instructions on it."

I flipped open the silver lock. I read the instructions written there aloud. "Time is no object to the matters of the heart. Write what you seek, but beware. If it is love you seek, time will tell. Write but their name, or consequences will follow."

"She did mention that it was a bit odd," grandmother said. "I need to head home, my Adi."

It took a while to walk her down to the station. I stopped at a little convenience store on my way home, buying a huge bottle of soju to drink on the way. I didn't have work the next day, having taken the day off because of a television interview the next day.

Getting drunk seemed to be a good idea at the time.

I got home after half the bottle was already gone and sat down at my tiny dining table that doubled as my work desk.

The diary sat innocuously on the corner. I flipped it open, staring at the instructions again and again until my brain was mush from the combination of odd language and soju. My phone told me it was midnight.

"Fuck it." I slurred, not paying attention to anything else. "It's just a fucking diary. Just a notebook. Write shit in it and stop worrying."

On the second page, I wrote the following words, unknowingly sealing my fate:

I want Bang Chan and Lee Minho and Han Jisung to fall in love with me over and over and over again, until we can't be apart from each other or we'll die.

I put the rest of the bottle of soju in the refrigerator. Stumbled into my bed. Fell fast asleep with my phone in my hand. My alarms set for nine, so I could get ready for my interview on time.

***

Injeonghagi sileo ajikdo geuriwo

How could I forget? Yaksokaenneunde

Injeonghagi sileo ihaehagi himdeureo

How could I forget the day you lied to me

I rolled over in my bed, staring blearily at my phone. The ring tone was one I'd set for unknown numbers. It wasn't listed as spam, so I answered it hoping it wasn't a hospital or something.