Chapter 2: The First Monday

I did my best to not freak out. I really did. But I didn't have to do much because I was not the only one vibrating with scarcely concealed excitement. Han Jisung took the seat nearest me, Bang Chan and Lee Know practically having to sit on him to keep him from me.

The thought occurred to me that they’d mentioned that the group was a fan of my book. If that were the case… Han didn’t seem nearly as shy as he was when he’d met Tiger JK.

April gave an indulgent smile. "I see you're all very excited. Bangchan, you were the one who initially requested to meet our debut novelist. Tell me, what prompted you?"

"Something we've tried to do more of in recent months is read, play video games, just have some down time," Chan said, all polished professional now. "And Han came across Adi's novel, Bitter Rind, on Tiktok. He saw she was a Stay and bought it thinking he'd skim a bit just for fun."

"Ah, so Han is the one who found Adi's novel?" April prompted.

"Yes," Han nodded. His accent in person was a little more subtle, or perhaps he'd gained a bit more American accent from touring. "I read the opening line and before I knew what happened it was four in the morning. I read it all at once."

Lee Know laughed, and I was treated to his heavily accented English. "He was very angry."

I couldn't help but open my mouth. "Angry? Why?"

"Because there was only one book!" Felix threw in, snickering. "Han wanted to read everything you ever wrote. When he found out that this was your debut novel, he thought it was like our debut where we had a lot of music already."

Chan smiled, patting the small rapper on the shoulder. "I had to explain that debut novelists only have one book published."

"I have other writing." I laughed nervously, covering my face as a blush stole over it. "Just none published."

Han perked up at that. "So there is more coming?"

I smiled, nodding. "Yes, of course. Novelists aren't that different from musicians, I don't think." My gaze went up, thinking. "I have a sequel to Bitter Rind about half done now, plus a few other things."

April broke in. "You completed book signings at the libraries since our last interview. You've also amassed quite a social media following. Can you tell us how you're feeling knowing that your book has reached international interests?"

I gulped, probably loud enough that the cameras picked it up. "My social media following still surprises me. I talk about my process, and I make little videos to market my book. This is only the second interview I've had so far, but I have several emails in my inbox for others. I didn't anticipate my debut to be so large, if I'm honest, especially as a self-published indie writer. If things continue in this way, I may be able to quit my day job and write full time."

"That is success in a nutshell. Chan, I understand that fame wasn't quite so quick for Stray Kids?"

Chan blushed. "We had a little more help, being a part of a company the size of JYPE, but fame...? That took a while. Comparing our debut with Adi's is a little unfair to them, because they are doing all of this work on their own. There's no team, no trainers, no marketers. Perhaps an editor, but the rest is their own work."

"You guys worked incredibly hard to get to where you were at debut," I said, my eyebrows furrowed. "You continue to work at an incredible pace. Just because you have a team behind you doesn't mean your work is any less than mine."

April chuckled. "I've spoken with Adi enough to know that she has the same reputation for being humble. Chan, you are in the US due to the new television show JYPE is in the process of filming. What can you tell us about it?"