Chapter 3

(Oliver's pov)

I figured out who's who in the club and we're going to be having our meetings in Blake's basement, since his younger sister Paige can't come over to anyone else's house. Nobody really minded though as we all agreed in the end.

Now it was one of our meeting days (we chose Wednesday) and I was getting ready to head to Blake's house. Unfortunately, my mother caught me while I was putting on my shoes.

"Where are you going Oliver? Dinner's almost ready." She asked, looking at me with the usual 'look' in her eyes.

I pointed to the door, looking like a child who didn't know how to talk, the only difference is I just couldn't. I then made a walking motion with my hands and then made two little "people" with my hands. After I looked up to my mother to see her reaction.

"You have friends?" Was the first thing she said. I frowned, but then nodded.

"And you're going to have dinner there tonight?" My mother then asked. I nodded. I memorized the sign language for the days of the week and then signed "every Wednesday" towards her. She nodded and almost looked proud.

If only she knew what I was going to be doing at Blake's house. She was one of the people who believed that Sam Williams was the hero of Lilac River and I knew she would've been pissed if she knew I was against him.

"Alright then. See you later then dear. And make sure you eat at your friend's place, okay?" There came that word again. Dear. He's never been called that before by his step-mother. I then nodded and got up, leaving the house.

I had memorized where Blake's house was and walked down the route that Sean had shown me. Once I arrived, I knocked on the door and then waited. Blake answered and let me in.

I entered the basement and sat down. There was everyone there. Sean, Nathaniel, Kai, Liam, Jess, Blake and Blake's younger sister Paige. I smiled and looked around, waiting for the meeting to start.

Once it started, we took attendance (which wasn't exactly necessary but we took it anyway) and then I walked to the front of the room. There was a large whiteboard in the meeting room/basement that they would use regularly.

I then picked up a marker and then drew a little diagram of their plan that they were going to follow. It started in the club. We found out that apparently Sam Williams did live in Lilac River, but was out of town and rarely came. Our suspicion was that Sam W. had people who worked for him to buy groceries for him.

So, we then planned to follow Sam after he left town, since he didn't live too far out. The problem was that we couldn't get caught or else our parents would most likely get fined and worse, we get sent to jail. We would have to be smart about this, so we would have only a couple people going. After a short vote, we decided that the three shortest members would go. Those people happened to be me, Paige and Jess.

Paige then said that she was good at sneaking around from experience and to be honest, I was too. In the household I've been living in, it was almost necessary to know how to get around unnoticed.

But, we haven't put the plan in action yet. We can't. Since if we try to early we'll definitely get caught. There was still about two weeks until the first of November, so we had time to plan.

In the middle of our meeting there was a knock on the door from Blake's dad. He gently opened the door.

"Hey guys, I ordered pizza for dinner and you can come upstairs to grab some if you'd like." He said before closing the door again.

We all agreed that pizza was a good idea. I liked it, and so did everyone else so we came upstairs and grabbed a slice of pizza each. Once we finished we walked back into the basement, I meant, meeting room.

"So, on the first we'll follow Sam to his house and then investigate?" Paige asked, holding a notepad in her hands. It looks like she had been taking notes. For a girl her age, I was surprised on how mature and composed she was. I then nodded and continued on with the plan. Then 9:00 hit and we all had to go home. We got about a quarter way through discussing the plan.

I was happy while walking home, my notebook clutched in my arms. I then tried to open the door to my house. Locked. I sighed before knocking on the door, hoping someone would be awake. Luckily, Olive had her friends over so she would've been awake still. She answered the door and then smiled, letting me into the house.

I then sat down at my desk and did a bit more research, typing it out and then printing it so I'd have something to show for our meeting next week.