Chapter three: Barbeque with the Millers

As I made my way to the Miller's house on a hot summer evening, Lauren's homemade cake cradled carefully in my hands, a sense of nostalgia washed over me like a warm breeze. The familiar sights and sounds of the neighborhood greeted me as I walked, the sun dipping low on the horizon, casting a golden glow over the streets.

Sarah, Joel's daughter and my best friend, was back from college for the summer, and Joel decided to host a barbeque evening. Dad would've joined us too, accompanied by Lauren, but he wasn't feeling well and had decided to stay at home.

"Hey, Jeanette!"Sarah greeted me as she opened the door and immediately pulled me into a hug.

"It's good to see you too,"I replied, hugging her back, holding the cake carefully.

"Come on, we need to catch up,"Sarah took a cake from me and I followed her inside.

As I walked in, I looked around, noticing how it hadn't changed. One thing changed: I didn't see the family photos anymore. All the photos with Sarah's mom were taken down.  Hidden away. I was there for Sarah when her parents divorced, knowing how she felt. There wasn't cheating like in my case, her parents just didn't work together anymore, but that didn't mean it was easier for her. 

As we made our way to the backyard, I spotted Tommy, Joel's younger brother, having a beer while Joel was busy with cooking. Tommy's companion was Maria who I've met a couple of times before. But to my surprise, there was another woman. Another woman who was being a little too intimate around Joel. I shot Sarah a curious look, wanting to know more.

"Oh, that's Maria's friend, Jessica,"Sarah explained quietly, putting the cake down on the table. "Dad wasn't really fond of the idea about going on a date but... Tommy and Maria set them up and I encouraged him. He hasn't been out in a long time."

"Yeah, I understand..."

It was foolish, I knew, to feel jealous over someone who was nothing more than a passing acquaintance. Yet, as I watched Jessica laugh and flirt with Joel, a pang of insecurity swept over me, stirring up emotions that I had long thought buried. As I watched them, my eyes met with Joel's and I turned around, feeling a light blush forming on my cheeks God, Joel was twice my age and I shouldn't even think of him like that.

I tried to push aside the irrational thoughts that clouded my mind, focusing instead on the conversations swirling around me. Sarah pulled me back inside, handing me a drink as we sat down to the couch.

"How are you? How is your dad?"Sarah asked, worry in her voice evident.

"It's... complicated,"I sighed, taking a sip from my drink. "You know, when I saw him for the first time after so long... It was scary. I realized my dad really doesn't have much time left."

"I'm sorry, J,"Sarah replied, squeezing my hand gently. "You know I'll be here for you. Even in the middle of the night."

"Thanks. It means a lot,"I smiled. "What about you? How's college been? Any cute guys?"

Sarah immediately blushed at the mention of cute guys and I knew she had been seeing anyone. Which I was surprised to learn about since she hadn't mentioned anything to me when we called each other.

"C'moon, Sarah, tell me more,"I nudged her playfully. 

Sarah took a sip of her drink, sighing. "His name is Jordan. I didn't tell you about him because I didn't know if it was serious and I didn't want to get my hopes up."

"I can see you like him very much,"I said, nudging her again.

 "Well... I do,"she replied honestly. "He's nice to me and caring. We've been out a couple of times now."

"You deserve a nice guy, Sarah. Someone who treats you well,"I told her, smiling. "I'm happy for you."

"What about you? Any nice guys in Pennsylvania?"

I shaked my head. "None."

"Jordan's best friend is actually quite cute,"Sarah pointed out. 

"I don't have time for boys,"I replied and Sarah sighed dramatically.

Sarah was about to reply but Joel came in, saying food was ready to serve. I got seated between Joel and Sarah. Our hands touched as Joel handed me the food, a shiver running down my spine.  

Whatever these feelings were, I had to get rid of them. Now.