28. Loser husband and pretty wife

Me, again. The title refers to Temari and Shikamaru so don't get your hopes up. hopefully, I can finish this chapter and the next one today and then publish them on separate days because like I said in the last chapter, I'm not going to be online for a long time, I'll explain once I'm back online and have some time. So, another chapter for my favourite Gaara simps.

PS: the writer shitty posture is real. my back ACHES man.

TW: Sasuke.

☆✮★

The audience was quite displeased about the most exciting match being postponed, to say the least, so some threw rubbish down at the Shikamaru boy. But Temari being Temari attacked in an instant, starting the match.

If you remember correctly, this guy was the one you classified as a strategist, so in short, he was smart. It seems the outcome of this match was wavering slightly. Temari is strong and she's not dumb by any means, but when smartness versus strength, what is the outcome of the match? In the end, it all relied on who was more balanced or who had higher in the subject.

If the opponent has more strength than you are smart, then no matter if you knew and could analyse the attacks, how could you survive it? if the opponent is smarter than you are strong, then your hits will never land and your weakness will be found and pinpointed. 

So, in this battle, it all relied on who was simply better. you and your weird obsession with seeing reality as simply an interesting story had already decided on who was probably the main character. you. well, unless that blond was as potential-filled as he looked. Whatever. it's all whatever.

At the current moment, it seems Temari has a higher rate of winning considering she's figured out how his kekkai genkai works and figured out the limit on how close to her it can reach. another thing to add in her favour, she specialises in long-range battles, so the outcome could be decided just on that.

But it seems a genius always stays the genius, as Shikamaru slowly began to add more tricks to make his shadow longer, and if Kankuro hadn't yelled a warning, Temari would probably be doomed right around now. She rushed backwards and put her fan in front of her as a shield as she debated on her next move.

Alas, it seemed the battle already had a victor as she suddenly couldn't move. Miniature Einstien over there used the holes created by Naruto to reach her Shadow. chewing on your lip you pouted slightly, a real shame. This one has potential, he has a high IQ and can plan ahead of time. you needed to make a mental note to act out of the ordinary if he were to compete with you, Just in case.

Yet of course, Shikamaru Nara forfiets. both to your luck and for a reasonable explanation, but the expressions of those around you had you laughing loudly, unable to hold it back as you held onto your ribs. Kankuro and the Konoha genins all gave you weird looks, but you couldn't stop laughing until Temari came back up.

In your mind, this guy was most definitely more suited to become a Chunin than anybody here, maybe even yourself included. or not, You would be an anbu by now if you had participated in any of the past chunin exams. Suddenly the thought pissed you off and you started brooding in a corner, ignoring Naruto who jumped down to berate Shikamaru and Gaara who seemed to be simply tweaking out beside you.

What was the point of working with Sunagakure? you got plus's, your desires were achieved, you got a house and were paid a hefty sum for all of those S rank missions despite it never heightening your position. But what was the difference between now and then? When you were free?

Back then, you could kill and sell those ninjas' bodies for money that paid your rent quite well. the terrain was your homeland, it was much easier to kill there. even then your current team isn't all that important to you, you could stay friends with them all the while living somewhere else. Maybe you'd miss Shun? he was quite close to you and useful.

But in the end, what was truly stopping you?

You were shaken out of your thoughts as you saw a large amount of movement on the field. With 0 seconds left, Sasuke Uchiha had pulled up dramatically, leaves now almost everywhere on the field. A half smile graced your face but was wiped off once you were cursed with the sight of his grown-out bangs, and the unbelievably gay eye contact with the blond.

Physically having to close your eyes and look away, your eyes settled on Gaara. Won't this match probably be the start of the war? Once Gaara moved you followed, Wanting to exchange at least a proper word with him before his match started. despite his entire aura reeking of bloodlust, you happily walked behind him down the stairs.

As the two of you reached the corridor, there seemed to be two shinobi stationed there. pests. You simply stood behind Gaara and smiled sweetly at him, hoping he'd get the memo on to make it as bloody as possible. They were dealt with quickly, which was a plus for you considering Gaaras' blood lust wasn't incontrollable now and you could probably talk to him.

"Oi Gaara, don't go too overboard now. If it goes on like this-"

You cut yourself off as you saw both Naruto and Shikamaru standing very still on the staircase. Gaara didn't stop walking so you didn't either, but you trailed a little behind him and said in a joyous tone with an undertone of mockery as you smiled leisurely at the two of them.

"Luck, such an incredible thing is it not? Congrats on your wins, I look forward to the chance of facing you, Naruto."

Ending it with a slightly manic laugh you hurried your pace to walk side by side with Gaara, eyes crinkled and a grin resting on your face as you turned to the redhead who seemed to be in a 'good' mood after his little deed.

"Gaara, Gaara, Gaara. Always so hasty. this is going to be it, Kankuro mentioned it too, don't forget the strategy, won't you? I didn't even get to do my match yet... Gaara."

His eyes turned to you almost curiously, yet a glare was settled in them. Your grin couldn't help but grow wider as you took a step closer to him.

"Gaara, don't be irrational out there."

You reached out and tugged on his hair with a lighthearted laugh, there was no response for a few seconds before he practically snarled out

"Do you crave death?"

Happily taking the warning, you turned on your heel and went to rush back up the staircase and take your place next to Kankuro and Temari, ready to see the most intriguing match of the tournament. it almost made you wonder what the outcome would be.

And for a second there, as you saw Gaara walk out onto the pitch, you felt a tinge of a warm fire residing in your chest.

☆✮★

Important! Should I change the cover of the book?

Another chapter is finally complete! and if I had spare time I'd be inclined to write more. Personally, Temari and Shikamaru are my favourite canon ship. but that's just my opinion, yet again thanks for reading and hope to update again soon.

-Kion