37. Round the Corner

Wow is... is that me updating regularly!?🤯🤯🤯. (I forgot to post this💀💀💀)

Tw: throwing up, small mental breakdown. (Lemme know if I missed any)

☆☆☆

"Yo, Gaara. what's up."

You answered as you stopped swinging, letting your body relax as you stared at his deep red hair, a small smile gracing your face for the first time in a while. Placing your chin in your palm, you lazily stared as you waited for a response.

"...[Y.NAME]."

"Yes?"

"..."

"What do you want to say? c'mon, what's with you? just talk already, I don't have forever. What are you doing out at this time anyway? oh right, Jinchuuriki stuff, my bad."

Smile growing as you saw him become slightly flustered, you finally shut up and waited for him to speak on his own. Cocking your head to the side, you inwardly felt a little... off. Gaara speaking in a tone not filled with murderous intent? How weird. Brain damage 100%.

"... What are you doing here?"

He said simply, making you laugh.

"I wanted some fresh air, I was going to suffocate in the emptiness of that apartment. How've Temari and Kankuro been?"

Except on that subject, you suddenly remembered the person you were talking to was the Kazekage's son, and unfortunately, the one who looked the most like him. You suddenly felt a little sick and looked away, eyes darkening and brow furrowing.

"They've been okay. It's already been three weeks anyway. How about you?"

"... Fine. Why would I be overly affected, Not like I was the one who lost a relative."

But god did it feel like you did.

Though hesitant, Gaara walked over and stood beside the swing next to you. 

"But you were closer to Shun than me and my siblings were with my father, So I thought you'd... never mind."

Scoffing slightly, you laughed as you turned to glance at him through the corner of your eye.

"Won't you just look at that, is the cold-hearted killing machine Gaara feeling pity? Well too bad I don't need it, maybe you should try putting that miracle into your siblings, they'd appreciate it."

Knowing he probably said something that had hit a nerve, he stayed quiet though he still didn't leave. Not that you really cared, you just weren't in the mood to be pitied by that filthy man's kids.

The mood got silent and awkward, making you feel even more pissy so you looked down at your hands, contemplating your next words as you tried to diffuse the tension.

"Oh yeah, I ran into some weird stranger earlier. His name was 'Akuma'. Look, someone with a name as 'unique' as yours. He was a foreigner so he might not be here for long, you should go find him"

(A/N; to that one person who's named Akuma... I'm sorry😖😖)

Gaara didn't reply, only looking down at the floor, Not that you noticed since you weren't even bothering to spare him a glance. Silence was back yet it wasn't as awkward as before. A long while of you staring into the dark sky, you almost fell of the swing in surprise as he spoke in a quiet tone not normal of his slightly raspy voice.

"It hurts doesn't it? [Y.NAME], I'm not trying to pity you. You know I can't say it properly, but I'm trying to help you. [Y.NAME]-San, look at me, won't you?"

Flipping your head around, you stared wide eyed at the earnest look on the red heads face, one that had seemed a myth in the past three years you'd known him.

For a second, you didn't know what to say or do, staring at the soft look in those seafoam green eyes, you suddenly jumped to your feet, cooling your expression as you stared at him with distain, crossing your arms as you studied him intently, body language stiffening.

"What do you think you're getting at? Come to think of it, what's wrong with you Gaara. This new gimmick or phase, it's annoying me to no end. Seriously, I don't need you to pretend to care. I'm really missing the cold blooded murderer right about now, you know, the actual you. You can pretend to be a good person all you want for now. But we both know who you really are, Subaku no Gaara."

You couldn't look anymore, not bothering to notice any hurt in the once blood lust filled eyes as you turned your back on him. He looked too much like his father in your opinion. Gaara didn't stop you or call out as you walked away, making things a lot easier for you as you walked away, cursing under your breath.

That guy was impossible, one second he's as menace as always, the other he's suddenly become some goody too shoes who acts like he cares. And just as an amazing plus, he gets his father's filthy genes with that.

Did the Kazekage use those pitiful eyes to convince Shun? Did he act like he cared and apologised when his brother died to drag him into his trap? Did he-

Stumbling into an alleyway, you couldn't take it anymore and keeled over, dry heaving and retching onto the pavement as you clung to your stomach.

Fuck.

Fuck.

It was too much, it really was. You're barely thirteen, Shun dying, what happened between him and the Kazekage, and the god forsaken red head acting like he cared. You weren't old enough to know about this, to be forced into all this.

God it was unfair.

So so unfair.

But what could you possibly do? Shun and the Kazekage were already dead. But why did it feel so wrong, so empty, so dead, to keep living like this?

How could you know? You were abandoned by your parents, raised yourself on the streets, killed and grew estranged at an early age, you didn't know what was normal for shinobi, hell, kids your age to do.

You didn't know anymore.

You really didn't know.

Wiping your mouth and squeezing your eyes shut so no tears would escape, you finally got to your feet, stumbling slightly as you used the wall to hastily return to your apartment.

The last person who cared about you was dead.

And a part of you died along with that knowledge.

It was time you grew up, the world was too cruel to be living in with such a simple mindset.

☆☆☆

Word count: 1000+

Hey so, might've forgotten to post this💀💀. I also might take a while on the next chapter. Why? Well it's simple really... I'm too lazy to open my laptop and check to see what the next chapter was supposed to be about😁😁😁.

But I do think it was to do with canon events so, hopefully it's interesting. No character art today, see you guys next time!

-Kion