Chapter 4

The bustling streets of Mumbai were a distant memory as Karan Malhotra immersed himself in the world of high finance and corporate deals. Seated behind his desk in his sleek office, he was in the midst of negotiating a crucial business deal when his phone rang, interrupting his focus.

Glancing at the caller ID, Karan saw that it was his mother calling. With a sigh, he picked up the phone, knowing that his mother rarely called him during work hours unless it was something important.

"Hello, Mom," Karan said, his voice curt.

"Karan, dear, can you come home immediately?" Her voice was urgent, cutting through the line.

Karan frowned, sensing the urgency in his mother's tone. "Is everything okay, Mom? I'm in the middle of an important meeting."

"I know, dear, but it's urgent," Mrs. Malhotra insisted. "It's important that you come home right away."

Karan's frown deepened at the mention of the Singhania family. He knew that they were family friends, but their sudden visit seemed out of the ordinary. Nevertheless, he trusted his mother's judgment and agreed to leave work immediately.

"I'll be there soon, Mom," Karan said, ending the call and gathering his belongings before heading out of his office.

When he reached home he found Singhania family sitting there. As Karan entered the living room, he was greeted by the sight of the Singhania family seated on the plush sofas, their expressions a mix of anticipation and excitement.

"Ah, Karan, there you are," Mr. Rudra Singhania said, rising to greet him with a warm smile. "Thank you for joining us on such short notice."

Karan nodded in acknowledgment, his expression guarded as he took a seat opposite the Singhania family. He exchanged polite greetings with Mr. and Mrs. Singhania before turning his attention to Neha, whose gaze was fixed on him with unwavering intensity.

"Karan, my boy, we've come here today with a proposal," Mr. Singhania began, his voice filled with enthusiasm. "As you know, our families have been friends for many years, and we believe that there is great potential for us to strengthen our ties, both personally and professionally."

Karan listened intently as Mr. Singhania outlined the details of the proposal, his mind racing with thoughts of the implications it would have for both his business and personal life.

"And so, we propose a merger between our companies, as well as a marriage between you, Karan, and our daughter Neha," Mr. Singhania concluded, his voice filled with anticipation.

Karan's jaw clenched at the mention of marriage, his mind reeling at the suddenness of the proposal. He exchanged a glance with his mom, who offered him a reassuring smile of encouragement.

"I appreciate the offer, Mr. Singhania," Karan said, his voice measured. "But I'm afraid that I cannot accept."

Neha's eyes widened in disbelief at Karan's refusal, her expression quickly morphing into one of anger and frustration.

"What do you mean, you can't accept?" she exclaimed, her voice tinged with desperation. "Do you know how long I've waited for this moment? Do you have any idea how much this means to me?"

Karan remained unmoved by Neha's outburst, his expression unreadable as he faced her with steely resolve.

"I'm sorry, Neha," he said, his voice firm. "But I cannot marry you."

Neha's face flushed with anger and embarrassment at Karan's rejection, her eyes narrowing into slits as she regarded him with disdain.

"You'll regret this, Karan Malhotra," she spat, her voice dripping with venom. "You think you're too good for me, but you'll soon realize that you're making a big mistake."