𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒊𝒏 , one

Warning: Joo Dan Tae, possible grammatical errors, bad english, It's not a chapter

PARK ZOE | Before The Penthouse

"I still don't understand, why do we have to do this?" Zoe murmured quickly, her voice slightly trembling as if she was afraid even to address her father

"You know the reason," Liam, Zoe's father, let out a soft sigh as he adjusted his tie and suit. "It's a marriage that would work for the company. Furthermore, we have also come for J'King Holdings, I think it would be a good investment."

Zoe wanted to say more, but it seemed that one more word would not be heard. Zoe drew a line on her lips, and after a few long seconds, her voice was heard again.

"I didn't want to come here. You could have... left me in the United States," Zoe raised her voice, letting out some of the anger about the situation.

"Are you raising your voice at me?" Liam reprimanded with a loud voice.

"No... I- I'm sorry, Father," Zoe felt smaller, her hands intertwined and squeezed tightly.

Her father replied with a slightly softer voice─ "If I left you in the United States a bit longer, you would become even more stubborn."

Zoe snorted, her father said nothing more, and she knew that was the end of the conversation. The rest of the car ride was completely uncomfortable, but it seemed that only she noticed it.

The car slowed down slowly and headed into a parking lot in front of a large building. The driver Kyong, a 41-year-old man, tall and handsome despite his age, is one of the servants who have given many years to the company. Mr. Kyong turned off the engine and engaged the parking brake. He turned halfway in his own seat.

"Mr. Park," he mentioned with a monotonous voice, Liam nodded gently, and Kyong quickly got out of the car, approached Liam's door, and opened it with total smoothness and control while waiting in position until Mr. Liam got out. After he exited, he closed the door with the same gentleness and headed to the other side, to Zoe's door, performing the same actions.

Zoe remained static as her father continued walking into the shining building. She observed the imposing building in front of her, the tallest and most luxurious building in all of Korea: the Hera Palace. The building even from the outside looked luxurious, with the predominant colors of dark blue and gold, shining brilliantly from the direct impact of the sun. In the center, there is a statue of the goddess Hera, which seems to be made of porcelain, with two large wings on her back. And she assumed there were more sculptures of her inside, in addition to the prominent statue at the top of the building, which was hard to see due to the sunlight. Zoe let out a soft scoff and entered the building with her father.

"The Hera Palace? Seriously? You know how much I hate this place," Zoe complained to her father with a loud but low voice, walking on the floor that she noticed was of high-quality white quartz. As they entered, some servants bowed to them. But she didn't care enough.

"The past is past, Zoe. I can't believe you still harbor hatred for the place where you grew up and were raised," Liam responded helplessly as they continued to venture deeper into the Hera Palace. The tension in the air was palpable, and Zoe was starting to feel cornered in a place she had never wished to return to.

Zoe observed the luxurious interior of the building as they walked through the white marble lobby. Dim lights illuminated the path, and the sound of her father's heavy footsteps echoed against the delicately adorned walls and windows.

"The Hera Palace has changed quite a bit since you left, Zoe. It could be a good opportunity," Liam tried to smooth things over, but Zoe knew this was a warning directed at her. She had the feeling that this return didn't bode well.

"We'll see if that's possible, Father," Zoe responded firmly but measured. She wasn't willing to give her father the satisfaction that the return could be easy.

"Well, Liam, have you decided to bring your daughter to our humble Hera Palace?" Joo Dan Tae, a man elegantly dressed in classic round glasses, approached with a lavish smile that seemed fake. He extended a hand to Liam while apologizing for the absence of his wife, Su-ryeon.

"My apologies, Liam. Su-ryeon couldn't join me on this occasion. Urgent matters, you know how it is," Joo Dan Tae said with a mellifluous voice and an expression that seemed almost rehearsed.

Liam nodded formally, accepting the apology with equally artificial courtesy. Zoe, on her part, observed Joo Dan Tae with a penetrating gaze, trying to discern the authenticity behind that bright smile. She had been studying the art of acting and cinema, but even after so much practice, she thought that what Joo Dan Tae showed was genuinely real.

"Zoe, right?" Joo Dan Tae cleared his throat before turning his attention to her. "Nice to meet you. It's always a pleasure to welcome back old members; I hope you feel at home."

Zoe responded with a simple nod, her expression not revealing much.

"Alright, alright. Liam, let's discuss those business matters in my office. Zoe, maybe you'd like to explore the place a bit. There's a lot to see in the Hera Palace," Joo Dan Tae guided Liam into the luxurious building, leaving Zoe alone in the lobby.

Zoe could easily access her own room with her card, but she chose to stay and observe the main hallway a bit more.

Later, when Zoe encountered Joo Dan Tae again, this time without her father's company, the falsely smiling man repeated his friendly gestures.

"I'm sorry that your first visit is in the absence of your father, Zoe. But, officially welcome to the Hera Palace!" Joo Dan Tae extended his arms with exaggerated enthusiasm.

Zoe gave her thanks with a formal gesture and gave a barely perceptible smile. He hoped that his father had come with Joo Dan Tae, but seeing that he had not, he headed to the elevator and headed to his room number 7600. As he ascended, his gaze followed Joo Dan Tae's cheerful expression before disappearing with the ascending floors.