Lets do this!

"I read your book, Ekant. It's really good, Congratulations."

"Thanks, Janaki. Once again, I am sorry for last time."

Ekant was holding onto his phone like he was betting his life on it. Her voice... It felt like a part of his brain was alive again!

"It's okay. I know you didn't want to hurt me. I was harsh with you and I am sorry fort that, Ekant"  There was a certain firmness in her voice.

"What are you doing in Mumbai?" He had to know though he secretly hoped if she would say that it was for him. 

"I just had something to confirm"

"Confirm what? What about your health?"

It would be a lie to say if he had not considered the possibility of her passing away during the past 9 months. It was the most obvious thing in line. Every doctor he consulted said the same. But somehow, Ekant never believed that she could die! He knew she could, he knew her days were numbered and tallied but still..... There was a part of him that refused to even let that thought stay in his mind for a while. She did it once so, she should be able to do it again, right? 

"I had to take care of something, Ekant." 

What followed was a silence that said a lot. He understood. It wasn't something she wanted him to know of.

"Janaki?" Ekant contemplated whether he should say it again. Last time he forgot to filter his mouth, didn't end quite well. But, here he was, refusing to hesitate. 

"You know that I love you, right? My feelings are exactly the same, Janaki! I need you!"

Ekant had his fingers crossed. What if she asks him to get lost again! He could hear his own heartbeat echo the room, while a drop of sweat slid down his cheek in that AC room.

"Janaki? Are you there?"

"I am here. How is Talia? She is one of my favorite actresses by the way! Treat her well!"

Right! He forgot! Janaki must have thought that he moved on! Damn! That makes him look like an even worse jerk. A two timer is something Ekant would never be.

"We are not really in a relationship. It's all an act. For media...... She is just a close friend! I swear! Its more like a PR thing"

She didn't reply to that either. 

'Damn it, Ekant'

Instead, she just asked him if he had his dinner and they talked. He wondered if she really didn't care or if she just didn't want to talk about Talia. He hoped if that could be the latter. 

Again, there were a lot of things that they talked of. It has been 9 months since he left Mussoorie and he wanted to know about everyone.

Nick,  Roy, Dr Kumar, his laughing club members, his football mates.....

"Well, Nick has promised that he is never coming back for rehab. Its been 7 months and he has been sober. He said you inspired him. Roy keeps me company at the center. Many of them went back to their lives for good. All of us are so proud of you, Ekant. We brag that you know us. Its allowed, right?"

"Can we meet?"

Just like his protagonist, Ekant could see greed find him.

"Ya, Sure. Where?"

He thanked heaven for the guts he had. He was done hesitating. Time was never the right for them.

"Text me your address. I will pick you up from there. Let's take a walk together"