Insanity

Insanity

“It’s all in your head, Alice!”- Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll.

Prologue: The Devil’s Drink

“DOROTHY!” My mother screeched from the kitchen. I sighed and walked to the kitchen where I found my mother glaring at me.

            “Yes Mother?” I asked sweetly. I wonder what it is this time!

“Why was there devil’s drink in my front garden?”My mother calls alcohol the devil’s drink. In this case, it’s a bottle of Jack Daniels.  She grabbed a fistful of my hair so I was looking at her properly. “IT WAS YOU WASN'TT IT? You are disgrace. I cannot even call you my daughter. This is the last straw Dorothy. If your father was still alive, he would look at you in disgust.”

Ouch. That hurt. I loved my father but he sadly died from a heart attack when I was five years old.

She let go of my hair.

“Mother... It actually wasn’t me. I have never drunk in my life. It’s probably from one of people who live round here.” I tried to explain. Okay I have drunk once or twice but it wasn't me this time.

            “You lying cow! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! Pack your stuff and go!”

“But where will I go Mother?”

            “That is none of my concern.” She stated bitterly.

I bowed my head and ran out of the room to avoid my mother picking up the nearest sharp item and giving me another scar to add to my collection. I carried on running upstairs to my box room and grabbed my old suitcase. I stuffed some of my clothes and belongings in and carried it downstairs.

I opened the front door and called “Bye Mother!”

“Rot in Hell.” Were the last words I heard before I slammed close the door and walked away from my house to find another life...