three

It has been two months since my training session with Paul and I am closer and closer to my departure back to Wallach IX to present my final report.

Today is Paul's 18th birthday, a much-awaited celebration among the people of Caladan. Today is also the day when I am presented as Princess Chalice Corrino, future Lady of Caladan. To say I am feeling anxious is an understatement. After today, everything is going to be different, only three more years to go before I become Chalice Atreides, and I shall no longer be fashioned as a Princess.

A knock on my door disrupts my train of thoughts. I have recently been moved to other rooms and am still growing accustomed to the change.

"Come in," I say to whoever is behind the door.

I look at myself in the mirror, admiring the work of the ladies who have helped me get ready for the day. My hair is put up carefully, with a few strands left untamed in order to frame my face. My face is dotted with some make-up, something unusual for me. As I keep on staring at the different person I see in the mirror, I hear the door open and close. I hear footsteps approaching me.

"Good morning," I hear Paul's voice from behind me.

I turn my head around and look at him. He is dressed in ceremonial clothing, with his curls untamed, as per usual. He walks closer towards me, and I notice a box in his left hand.

"Good morning, Paul," I say. "Happy birthday," I add. I stand up from the stool I was previously sitting on.

"Wow, you look exquisite," he compliments me.

"Thank you," I thank him while smiling. "You cleaned up well, too," I joke around.

"Well, it's not every day I am presented officially as the future heir of House Atreides and the beautiful girl in front of me as my future wife," he says, his words making me blush. "I came in to check up on you, see how you are feeling. Mother informed me that you did not attend breakfast this morning."

"I was not feeling well," I explain. "I shall apologise to Lady Jessica as soon as I see her."

"She's worried about you," Paul points out.

"Surprisingly, since she doesn't like me," I affirm.

Paul lets a small laugh escape from behind his smile. "Well, she has grown to trust you, just as have I and everyone else around here."

His words make me instantly calm down. Knowing that I have his trust is a relief.

"What do you have there?" I ask, pointing to the box in his hand.

"I have a little something for you," Paul answers.

"It is your birthday, I shall be the one who gives you a present," I declare, turning around and opening a drawer of my vanity, taking out a box tied beautifully with a ribbon. I hand it to Paul as he hands his box to me.

I take the box from him and look at him with an uncertain look. He encourages me to open it and when I do, I see a small ring with a blue stone in the centre.

"It used to be my grandmother's," Paul tells me. "It was given to her by my grandfather when their engagement was publicly announced," he keeps on explaining. "It is not an engagement ring, seeing as customs say that I shall not give one to you one year before our wedding, but a promise ring, if you'd like to see it that way."

"And what is the promise?" I murmur, still looking down at the beautiful ring. It is not big or fancy or anything that way, it is small and precious, and I would not trade it for anything in the world.

Paul puts his present on my vanity table before taking the ring box from my hand and taking the ring out of it. "I promise to you, Chalice, that I shall be always by your side, be forever fateful to you. As long as I shall breathe, you shall never be alone. I promise to you that things will not go back to the way they used to be," he says, putting the ring on my left ring finger.