Chapter Five: When I fell in love

Not with the ape, of course! As I regained my senses, my first instinct was to seek out Norton. I had upheld my end of the bargain by participating in his underground fight club. Now, it was his turn to reveal the truth of my identity. Thus far, all I had managed to uncover was my last name: Twain.

"How do you speak?" I asked the ape, breaking the silence.

The ape turned to me, his eyes holding a wisdom that seemed out of place in his primal form. He blinked slowly, "I always spoke, maybe because of Frank's medicine."

"Frank? Is he the person I fought with last night?" I recalled some cheers for him through the crowd.

"Humans fight humans, why?" the ape asked.

"Well, I don't fight humans for fun, I was made to," I replied. Though a small part of me couldn't deny the thrill of the experience.

"Ape Not Kill Ape," he declared, raising his arm in a cross. "Ohh, just wait for a psycho, revenge-crazy, power-hungry ape", I thought to myself.

That's when Frank entered, his tall frame cutting a confident figure in the room. Despite the bruises bandaged up on his face, he still exuded an air of rugged charm. His well-defined jawline and piercing eyes hinted at his good looks, even with the signs of the previous night's scuffle.

"You look better now. I'm so sorry about the fight last night," he said, his tone tinged with genuine concern as he approached. Adjusting his tie and straightening his shirt, it was evident he was ready to head out for work. "I see you've already made yourself familiar with Julius," he added, nodding towards the ape.

"It's okay, don't need to be sorry," I replied, dismissing his apology. He didn't have to be sorry. I pretty much kicked his ass as well.

"What happened last night?" I asked, eager to piece together the events. "I need to go find Norton."

"That would be difficult," he said, his expression turning solemn. "After you went blank, I felt bad knocking you out, so I helped you to my car, and that's when the cops came. They caught almost everyone and seized all of Norton's data."

"No, no, no," I exclaimed in frustration, feeling a sinking sensation in my chest. "He was the only one who could help me find out who I am."

"I don't get it, you don't know who you are?" Frank asked, a furrow forming on his brow.

I quickly recounted to him the lightning strike, hospital stay, memory loss, bank heist, and everything else in rapid succession.

That's when Julius, the ape, suggested to Frank, "Give him your medicine, the one you gave me for memory."

"The Alzheimer's treatment?" Frank exclaimed, his eyes widening in surprise. "No, that's not in the human trial phase yet. I can't risk his life by giving him that," he stumbled over the last words, realizing he was saying this to an ape on whom he had already tested the drug. "I mean, it's against the law."

An awkward silence filled the room, which I was eager to break. "Maybe just a small dose, to help me recollect something?" I suggested, desperation creeping into my voice.

Frank hesitated, then took a step back. "A small dose wouldn't hurt, but I can't take that risk. I have to go to the lab now. Feel free to leave when you feel better."

I shared a glance with Julius, whose ape eyes sparkled with mischief, conveying that he had a different plan in mind once Frank left.

After Frank departed, we waited for a while. I sat on the bed, my heart racing with anticipation and a hint of apprehension. Just in case the drug knocked me out, I wanted to be in a comfortable position. You can't blame me; I was desperate by now, and Frank did say a small dose wouldn't hurt, didn't he?