Gallery 4

Ray Caesar

Since I have talked about Digital Art in the previous chapter, I shall now further introduce you to this new world of creativity.
I assume not many of you are familiar with the marvelous Art of Ray Caesar. He is a contemporary, digital surreal artist, who currently lives in Canada with his wife.

He was born on October 26, 1958 in England. He moved to Canada with his family, in 1967 and since then, he continued living on American soil.

He revealed in certain interviews, that he suffers from dissociative identity disorder due to childhood trauma. He often refers to himself as 'Harry', his alternate self, who has been present in his life since he was merely a child of ten years old.
In his Art, we can see his alter ego making an appearance as a girl, as a reflection of his gender fluidity.

Ray Caesar spent seventeen years working in the Art & Photography Department of the Hospital for Sick Children, in Toronto. His experience at the Children's Hospital, was probably his major influence in his artwork. His greatest inspirations were also the remarkable surrealists, such as Frida Kahlo and Salvador Dalí. All that inspiration and influence, can clearly be noted in his brilliant masterpieces.

Here is an example. 👇🏻

From 1998 to 2001 he worked as a senior animator in Gajdecki Visual Effects, in Toronto, where he mastered his skills in 3D modelling software

Ray Caesar's Art had its own touch in digital animation for the Television and the Film Industries, from 1998 to 2001. His portraits include a contrast of elements, such as: childlike innocence, sexual innuendos ~ which many might find scandalous ~ and grotesque, physical deformities.

Exhibit I

In his creations, Ray Caesar merges elements of decorative styles and architectural ages, mixing the Art Déco, Victorian style, and visual codes from the early 1900

In his creations, Ray Caesar merges elements of decorative styles and architectural ages, mixing the Art Déco, Victorian style, and visual codes from the early 1900. His work often contains invisible elements in the final render, such as "old letters and photographs in lockets ~ that are tucked ~ away into drawers that are closed."