chapter eight: the undercroft

I decided to read in the common room and pass the time before sneaking to the Undercroft for my rendezvous with Sebastian. My mind raced with thoughts of the rest of dinner after our time outside. Sebastian looked at me with different eyes than before, almost like he was going to devour me. Every time our eyes met, my mind would flash the image of our almost-kiss in my mind.

As the time approached to sneak out, my hands started to shake, and I could feel the rest of my body starting to do the same. I put my book in my bag and walked quickly to the exit, moving as fast as possible. I cast the disillusionment charm to give myself the best chance of making it to the Undercroft without being caught by the prefects. I tried my best to control my breathing as I raced around corners and made my way to the entrance of the Undercroft. My anxiety melted away as soon as I made it safely inside.

Sebastian sat on an old crate, waiting for my arrival.

"Welcome back. It is good to see you here again," Sebastian said. It had been years since I had been in the Undercroft and nothing had changed except for an empty portrait on the wall and what looked like a pensieve sitting right in front of it. I took a seat next to him after pulling a nearby crate over.

"I need to know. Why did Anne cut me out after she left? She was very vague, I obviously know why now, but what does that have to do with me?"

"Anne had an idea of... us. It wasn't unlike what Juniper teases me for constantly." My face started to burn red as I realized what Anne had meant when she said she did not want to get in the way of any relationships. She did not want to influence me because she did not want Sebastian to lose me, romantically or as a friend.

"Oh, if only she knew that I ended up losing both of you." I looked down at my feet, not wanting to make eye contact with Sebastian. His hand reached over and grabbed mine. Fireworks shot up my arm, unlike any other sensation I had felt up until that point. I tried to remain focused on the matter at hand, not on the sensation spreading across my entire body.

"You have not lost me. I promise this is it for secrets. I cannot live like this with you any longer. You are one of my dearest friends."

"Friends," I whispered, and immediately regretted what I said.

"What did you say?" he questioned.

"Nothing. I just –" I broke off. I felt embarrassment creep up my face. I stared at the empty portrait on the wall, unable to find the words to say.

"Hey, what's going on in there?" he asked and waited for my answer, but I couldn't tell him. I wouldn't.

"Why are you so jealous of Everett?" It came out.

"I'm not. I just don't like him. There is something wrong with him," Sebastian had pink rising to his cheeks.

"Like what? Is it the fact that someone could possibly be interested in me that is so unbelievable to you?" I started to get angry. I could not help it.

"No, Willow, it is not like that."

"I am sure it is." I sat with my arms crossed and avoided his stare again. Sebastian stood up and put his hand under my chin, leading me to face him.

"You are the smartest and most beautiful girl I have ever seen. It is not that. I expected him to take an interest in you," he said and my whole body warmed up. I stood up to be on his level and he got closer again. This time, his hand stayed on my chin, and I felt him lightly pulling my head towards his. My heart was racing at record speed as I felt goosebumps stand up all over my body. He leaned in closer and closer, his breathing getting faster.

His lips brushed mine as sparks flew through my whole body. He locked his lips onto mine, his warm lips moved against mine as if they were made to be there. Before I could even process what was happening, Sebastian broke off our kiss and stood back. His eyes were wide.