chapter nineteen: escape to feldcroft

The train we took from London rocked back and forth as we all rode together in silence. I sat in our own little compartment quietly as Anne rested against Ominis' shoulder. His arm was around her and his other hand was on her knee, his thumb gently and rhythmically rubbing against her leg. I smiled as I watched the two of them. It was nice to see the two of them unafraid of showing affection now, despite the hardship that faces us all. None of us were ready for our time to be up with Anne. I looked at Sebastian as he stared at her with concern. We were sitting close, but not as cuddled up as the other two in our car.

I reached out and grabbed his hand gently, just wanting to let him know that I was there. He looked over at me and let go. He instead wrapped his arm around me, pulling me in as close as possible. I leaned against his chest, just enjoying the sound of his heartbeat which seemed to be in sync with the chug of the train. My stomach was filled with butterflies, and I could not suppress my smile as his other hand gently touched the bare skin on my thigh. What a day to wear a skirt.

I smiled up at Seb as he looked at my face to see my reaction, I could feel the heat burning in my cheeks as we made eye contact. He smirked at me as if he loved that he already had this much power over me from one touch of my thigh. I didn't quite know how I would get back at him yet, but I knew that I would.

Soon enough the train and the touch of Sebastian lulled me to sleep. After a bit, I felt a pair of soft lips on my forehead in my sleep and a smile stretched across my face as I awoke from my slumber.

"Sorry," Seb whispered to me. "You just looked so peaceful. I don't think I have ever seen you at peace like that."

"I think this is the safest I have felt in a very long time." I smiled at him and kissed his cheek before I leaned back on his chest. Suddenly I heard an "Ugh" come from the other side of the car and I looked up to see Ominis disgusted.

"If I have to bear witness to this moment, could you at least keep the kissing noises to a minimum?" I let out a giggle as Ominis spoke.

"Oh, Ominis, you just love young love, don't you?" whispered Sebastian.

"It depends on who it is, I suppose," Ominis answered and then kissed Anne on the head as she slept.

"Oh damn, that was cute. We can't make fun of him for that one," Sebastian said to me.

"Oh, no we can't but we could..." I trailed off and Sebastian caught my drift and kissed me on the lips.

"Ew! Stop it," Ominis said. "I was all for this coming together at some point, I just didn't think I would have to hear you two swapping spit." I let out a laugh and covered my mouth as Anne stirred.

"Way to go, Willow," Ominis said.

"W-what did I miss?" asked Anne

"Just your brother and Willow snogging." A smile stretched across Anne's face as she looked at me.

"Well, I knew it would happen eventually." My eyes searched hers, but there was nothing hidden within the statement. She was just happy. I had hoped for this reaction but was unsure what she would think.

"Really?" Sebastian asked as if he hadn't been teased by Ominis and Anne for years about his crush on me that he tried very hard to cover up. Anne didn't really respond to him, other than rolling her eyes and smiling at him. Just as I went to ask Anne if she was sure it didn't bother her, I looked out the window as we pulled into the familiar station. Everyone stood up and each of us helped take Anne's things off the train. As we stepped off the train, Miriam stood waiting for us, and I couldn't help but smile as my eyes found hers.

"Oh, hello dear. It is so lovely to have you back," Miriam said sweetly as she wrapped Anne in a big hug. Just looking at her, you could tell that she was struggling to hold her emotions in. After we put the bags in the carriage that Miriam had brought to pick us up, I grabbed Sebastian's hand, attempting to reassure him. He looked down at me and smiled softly, but his eyes looked glassy as if he was one moment away from crying.