𝟎𝟏 | 𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥

when the baseball boy meets the art girl

year 2006

IN THE OUTSIDE FIELD of a certain middle school— with the sun setting, the warm golden hue hits megumi's face as she wandered lost in her own reverie. her mind was consumed with the events that happened that morning, the weight of expectations, and the uncertainties. she was a little behind her average time going home but for the first time, she wanted to go anywhere but their household.

suddenly, breaking her daydreaming, a loud thud she heard. her heart nearly went out when she realized it's a baseball that landed a few inches from her feet. startled and wanted to see the culprit, there she saw a boy as he jogs towards her. he looks— like a dork, is what megumi said in her head.

the boy have a buzz cut hair, who wore a pitcher's jacket, a two to three inches taller than her, and his face was planted with an awkward smile— clearly worried and embarrassed. their eyes meet and for a moment, time seemed to stand still as the world faded away around them.

"are you okay?" he asked, his voice small and gentle yet filled with genuine concern.

megumi nodded, still slightly shaken by the close call. "yeah, it's all good. just wasn't paying attention."

the boy offered her a sheepish smile, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "sorry about that. i didn't mean to scare you."

she couldn't help but smile back, the tension easing from her shoulders. "it's alright, really. thanks for making sure i didn't get beaned by a baseball. but, i think you owe me for the heart attack."

his eyes widened in panic, realizing the gravity of the situation. "i'm so sorry! i didn't mean to, i just... hitted it too hard? i guess?"

she couldn't contain her laughter at his response, but her amusement softened into a warm smile. "hey, don't worry about it. no harm done."

relief flooded his features, and he let out a nervous chuckle. "thanks for being understanding. i'll make sure to be more careful next time. although it was you whose not looking in your way." the boy whispered the last part, but still got heard by megumi.

with a smile as she rolled her eyes, this guy, "sorry, it's my fault, i should be the one watching out." with a long pause, she continues, "aoyama megumi"

"pardon?"

"my name, aoyama megumi." as she reached out her hand.

"i'm ohtani shohei, first year of class 3."

year 2011

FEW YEARS HAD PAST since that incident occurred, and both being in good terms, good terms is an understatement, the bond between the two teens blossoms. megumi was not really expecting much from shohei, maybe just an acquaintance. however, those two became inseparable duo, looking at the scene right now, megumi and shohei prepared to fight.

these 17 years old duo wearing a serious face as they shake or stretch their hands, then the fight began. "jan..! ken..! pon!" yup, this is the fight that they looked serious for.

"yosha!!" a loud shaking scream came from shohei, he won with rock.

"oh come on, your bag is always heavier than mine, no joke. do you store rocks in there?" megumi was making face, trying to convince shohei.