|#10. His Confession|

When someone changes themselves, it's hard to bring their old self back again. However, some instinct of your past self always remains. Such is Ruhana's story. She's sweet, kind, and soft to the people she loves, while she's ruthless and stone-hearted to the rest of the world.

Vineet has been kind enough not to blame her for her ways; instead, he chooses to be silent. Yeah, they work on their terms and don't interfere in each other's affairs. She's thankful to him, but she feels guilty at the same time. She has behaved rudely with him and the guilt lingers in her heart.

As they stroll around Marine Drive, enjoying their ice cream, Ruhana feels that Vineet wants to say something. She berates him, tugging at his hand.

"What are you up to, Vineet?"

"Nothing."

"Hey, I know you. I know you're contemplating something. Tell me about it."

"Yeah, there are a lot of things that I want to say."

"Yeah, I knew it. It's written on your face, Vineet. Now, tell me, what is it?" She asks, tugging on his hand, and he's surprised.

Vineet quickly looks at her, and she encourages him to talk. She seemed nice and happy today. He thinks it's the right time to tell her how he feels. No matter what she says, he'll still love her.

Ruhana nudges him multiple times, and he comes out of his trance. He holds her hands and leads her way towards Marine Drive. She's surprised but follows his lead. She, too, has decided that she won't give him any reason to complain. They settle on a rock near the seashore, inhaling the fragrance of the sea.

"Vineet, say something. What are you thinking?"

"Ruhana, what I am going to say is something you might disagree with. And I won't force you to feel the same for me."

"It's been a long time that I have been feeling so. Maybe, ever since you left Delhi. Yeah, we were kids, but you left a void in my life. And this void is still there." Vineet says, taking her by surprise.

"I might be wrong, Ruhana. But, I am telling you about my feelings. Things haven't been in my control, lately. And today I am here, confessing my love for you. I cannot put a pause on my feelings, and yes, even if you deny it, it's okay. Because you're that part of my life, that can't be erased." Vineet says it genuinely.

"It's about my feelings, Ruhana. And this is the only truth, I just couldn't keep it to myself. I love you, I do."

Vineet finishes speaking and gazes at Ruhana. She is shocked beyond words, such that, she is unable to speak or react. She gazes at him, who's staring at her. He silently hopes that she doesn't overreact. He hopes for a soft response from her.

"Do you still believe me? And even if you do, how could you think, I would accept your confession?" Her tone is soft, and he is surprised by the question thrown his way.

"Ruhana, I already said that these are my feelings for you. It's not necessary for you to feel the same."

"Yeah, exactly! So, you should keep your feelings to yourself, Vineet. I don't believe in love anymore. So, you shouldn't take this to the next level." She says it coldly, leaving him shocked.

"I don't trust a person, these days, how could I trust this feeling of love? It's out of my dictionary, and you too, forget it. I respect you, you're one of my closest friends, but I don't feel any love for you. Waiting for me would be like caging yourself, so move forward in your life. You will find someone better than me." She says it aloud and her tone is surely hurting.

"Ruhana, don't take me wrong. I was...." He tries to explain but she shrugs him.

"Vineet, I don't want to talk about it. Can we head home? Aanya is all alone and it's too late." She says; freeing her hand from his grip.

Vineet sighs deeply; but follows her lead. He doesn't want to upset her further. He feels guilty for professing his feelings towards her. She denied him coldly, telling him that she had no feelings for him. Silence prevails between them as they head to her home. He tries to talk but she doesn't respond to him. He stops the car in front of her bungalow and as she's about to leave, he holds her hand.

"I am sorry, Ruhana, I didn't mean to upset you."

"Vineet, better don't talk about love to me ever again. You know what, Love is nothing but a weak emotion, and I can't fall weak, I don't want to. And you must not wait for me. Do not cage yourself." Saying so, she walks past the main gate, while he watches her helplessly.

He sighs deeply and drives towards his home. As he turns the car to leave, Ruhana watches him through the main door of her house. She looks pained at the moment but then wears a tough demeanour immediately.

"I am sorry, Vineet. I can't let you fall into a dry abyss. And there's no way that I can feel that beautiful feeling of love ever again."

*****
On his way home, Vineet is thinking about Ruhana. He had expected that outburst. She had already told him that she wouldn't be able to change ever again, and she had proved the same. She didn't accept his confession and she even asked him to leave. Her words echo in his ears.

"I do not love you."

"How could you think that I would love you? It's your outlook towards me. I don't love you and... and  I can't love you."

"We are not meant to be together. You're my friend, behave like one."

"Do not make things difficult for yourself and for me as well. Loving me won't do you any good."

He reaches home amidst all his thoughts about Ruhana. He parks the car in the parking area and runs towards his flat on the second floor. It's a sea-facing flat. He locks the door and then stands on the balcony of his room. He loves watching the sea from the balcony and today, his feelings take over his calm demeanour, and a tear escapes his eyes. But in the next instant, he clears his eyes and there's a determined look in his eyes.

"Ruhana, you're my love. I can't think of anyone except you as my life partner. You don't want me to wait for you, but I will wait until you change your mind because, my love, believe me, waiting for you has always been a form of freedom."

"I will wait for you until you trail back on your steps and come back to me. It will happen one day, Ruhana, it is my promise."

Vineet is determined to make Ruhana fall for himself and that's part of the transformation she needs in life.

To Be Continued.

A/N : word count: 1,179 words

Total word count so far: 11,348 words.