°FOUR°

Day was in way to get coloured in dark black ink as well as attracting occurance of ganga aarti as  dusk descends, the ghats of Varanasi come alive with the vibrant ganga aarti

Day was in way to get coloured in dark black ink as well as attracting occurance of ganga aarti as dusk descends, the ghats of Varanasi come alive with the vibrant ganga aarti. Shedding divine drops to every corner of Banaras and blessing soul of devotees.

Narrow lane which is densely populated Immediately drown themselves in holy mantra and some even headed towards ghat to catch glimpse of aarti.

Diya and kerosene lantern planted on the corner of veranda. How strange it is that just small source of brightness illuminate everything with warm orange glow.

Shrikant Mishra felt cursed as if someone or maybe his fate slide him in under waterfall whose cascading water cause his body feel unbearable pain and each nerve swallow poison which is over-bearing to his soul. Because in his last forty years this was the first ever his heart felt that it failed to serve Maa ganga because today he didn't found himself in ganga aarti.

He squeezed out a sigh and then careen his head to have attention of someone who was silently glancing at the holy river.

"Kaafi arze baad mile ho" Shrikant remarked and Shubhankar directed his gaze on him.
( It's been so long since I have met you )

Shrikant acquired his answer through reading those eyes which was dipped in honey and passed him a brief yet assuring smile.

In couple of minutes these men came in a view of shrikant's house which was built through red bricks and was not coated in any paint. Shubhanker moved his eyes and get a sight of shanty cowshed.

"If everything favour me and i reap a good harvest. I will certainly buy a cow. The Indian cows are not good. Neither they provide sufficient amount of milk nor their calves are profitable. They can be only used in the pillar of oil seller. I will buy a western cow as at lest she will give four or five seer"

[ seer :- old measure of weight - approximately 900 gms )

Shrikant strolled towards wood palm fibre cot and sink down along with Shubhankar. Flames of fire rise up from tasla which offer heat to body. Shrikant extended his hand and hover it on it.

"Aap bhi taap lijiye" He expressed his concern as evening was drenched in dew producing an icy glares which cause shiver to travel in entire body.
( warm your hands )

Shrikant yelled his wife name "aree Mrinalini ki amma jara dekho kon aaya hai" ( Mother of Mrinalini, please come and watch who has come )

A Lady walked outside while holding steel lota and with cautious footsteps. She advanced towards them and then poured chai in two steel glass.

[ A lota is a small, spouted, and rounded vessel that has been used in the Indian subcontinent since the 2nd millennium BCE or earlier ]

Shubhanker stretched his hand and cupped it. His gold ring clicked against it
and with silent move he supped up it.

Meenakshi nudged her husband While adjusting her veil that was covering her head. Shrikant drew out tobacco purse and stretched his hand.

Shubhanker politely refused while putting steel glass down and intertwined his fingers and place it under his jaw.

"जाड़ा kaafi haina " Shrikant commented while chewing betel leaf in response Shubhankar just said yes.
( It's profoundly freezing outside)

Then without beating around the bush. He get to the point and enquired "Are you aware why I asked you to come immediately"

Shubhanker angled his head in such a way that his gaze lock with him and again he converse with his eyes.
Indeed eyes are the mirror of soul however reading eye was an art in which only few are good.

Afterall people are too busy in arousing their mirth by watching tears in those eyes.

"What's your perspective on words of honour" Shrikant threw this question on his direction that caught off guard him

"A solemn promise" Shubhankar responded and by last word something or some images flashed in his mind which swelled up his heart with inexplicable emotion.

Amusement shone in Shrikant eyes and he asked for interpretation.

"A solemn promise feel like bond of sea and seashore that whether it is scorching summer day or freezy winter night. Whether it is midnight or midday sea never leave a chance or maybe never forget to meet up with seashore. Waves of sea never failed to reach at seashore"

"Even though It's been a while since we exchange words. I could not help but have the urge to admire your words" Shrikant allowed a soft chuckle to slipped out and included "who knows that encountered with you at that evening would make me asked for a solemn promise"

Shubhanker was aware that Shrikant has been manipulating him but he did't point out anything because of some wounded reason which made his soul haggard.

He cut to the chase and demanded for an answer and spoke with uttermost sincerity which won't lead any shadow of uncertainty "mangiye jo mangana hai"
(

Ask whatever you want )

Shrikant was not in a mood of being straightforward so his next words sounds like teasing "it is not cakewalk to lock yourself in any solemn promise"

Shubhanker blurted "I'm aware and being शैव I'm considerate that in which promise I should stepped in" while spilling last word. He got up and grabbed his shawl which he dropped on cot.

He threw it on himself and bent down for seeking blessing of shrikant Mishra.
And clasped his hand before fading away in blanket of dew.

Shrikant watched him until He was just a speck in the distance and turned to face his wife. contracting his wrinkle forehead.

He huffed before placing himself on cot. Meenakshi could not hold any moment and asked something which seem to exasperating her heart. "Kya hume kabhi pachtava hoga unhe chun ke"
(

will we ever regret on our decision)

He jerk his head in a nod which was in assuring way and then his gaze followed voice of his heart. String of agony tugged at his heart and once again his eyes stifle million drops of misery which would bathed ocean in shame.

It felt like as sunbeams was going to hide himself in cloudy grey sky and harsh drops of downpour would engulf in his life.

I would highly appreciate if you guys don't choose to be a silent reader as each vote literally means a lot to me :)