Part 2: Deafening Journey

The village was bustling with activity, around this time of year the farmer's market was at its max. Shopkeepers yelling about the fresh produce that they have and street vendors showing their exotic new items. One of the various street vendors approached me and showed me his unusual trinket. It's hard to describe what it was because I had no idea myself. But imagine a glass dome with dancing lights inside. I believe they were fireflies but there was no way to tell.

I quickly sidestepped out of the way and hurried to the local tavern, where I met Mr.Taylor, the owner of the establishment. I rented a room on the second floor for 3 days and 3 nights. I went back downstairs to be greeted by the stranger that had taken me here. He said that he had needed to go do something and that I shouldn't wait for him and had left me to the village. I thanked him for keeping me safe during my travels. "I never got your name," he stated. "Uh, Luna Smith, and yours?" I sheepishly replied. "James Green," he said. He was about a foot taller than me and had to look down to meet my curious eyes. "What are you looking at?" he questioned. "Just how tall you are." I didn't know if that was the right thing to say but it had already slipped off of my tongue. "You are just a fragile little thing," he answered. "How did you know the man said that?" I asked. "You were mumbling about it on the way here" he finished. "Well I have to go" I swerved around him and upstairs I could feel my cheeks flooding with warmth.

My room was small. It had a window surrounded by depressing little stones and a small twin bed. The room was very small. I placed my bags down and grabbed my sap. I rushed down the stairs and out the door. Across the plaza was the apothecary which is where I would go to sell my sap. I walked through the plaza and went into the quiet Infirmary. Lilith greeted me by the door. "Thank the heavens, I was dangerously low on the miracle medicine," she swooned. "If you ever run out of the sap you know where to find me even though it is a long journey" I reassured. "I'm so glad I could count on you!" she whispered. "Is something wrong?" I also whispered. "I was afraid that I would run out of medicine before. . ." she gestured toward a closed door. "Oh, I guess that makes sense. Where do you want me to put the sap?" I wondered. "Oh just downstairs, I'll just go grab you your payment.". I walked downstairs to be greeted by a labyrinth of shelves stocked full of mysterious liquids, herbs, and various bottles.

It was my first time down here and I was already lost. Between the shelves I had found where she kept the sap and placed it. But how am I supposed to get out now? I'm not even kidding when I say this but this place was giant with tall shelves stocked full reaching the ceiling. The room was maybe 3 times the size of a Great Hall or bigger! Red wooden beams were stretched across this massive room holding it together. Small sconces every 3 feet or so along the wall. "Are you ok down there?" Lilith's small voice asked. "Yeah, just trying to find my way through all of these racks." I answered. I had finally found an area that was somewhat familiar to me. I retraced my steps and made it to the wooden steps curving along the wall to the first floor.

The steps were groaning under my weight but held fast, I emerged victorious and saw Lilith through the door she showed me earlier. "It's on the bench in the back," she answered without me even needing to ask. I walked through the slightly chilly hallway toward the end. In that room was a tree in the center and a bench wrapped around it. There were racks lining the walls and a window showing rows and rows of wheat and other plants that surrounded the village. The auburn look of the trees was beautiful. I was usually only surrounded by pine trees which could get quite boring. In the reflection from the pane of glass I saw myself. My silky raven black hair grew down to my waist and framed my misty gray eyes. I wore a baggy knitted shirt that I inherited from my mother and black pants. Women wearing pants wasn't illegal but it was frowned upon. Luckily I wasn't around people often enough for it to become a problem. I grabbed the small pouch of money and walked out the door.

There was a man on the soapbox announcing a hunting competition. In front of him was a sign reading Winner gets wool from the eastern mountains. "Where do I sign up?" I asked the man when he went to go drink from a flask around his hips. "Women can't go alone, you'll have to come back," he answered. Suddenly I felt a firm hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see James towering over me. "If you'd like me to go with you I will." he whispered in my left ear. "That would be amazing" I whispered back, with a few short giggles. I rarely giggled. I'm not sure what came over me. James walked up onto the small stage and signed the parchment on the podium. His handwriting was magnificent, I was only taught how to write by my mother. My handwriting was pretty but definitely not as breathtaking as his but it was legible. I walked up and put my name next to his to indicate that we were a team.

I walked back to the tavern with James as twilight's embrace drew near. I walked into the bustling tavern. Filled with joyous laughter, lively chatter, clinks of glasses, and upbeat music in the background. "Would you like dinner, my treat?" James said behind me. "Oh it's okay you don't have to." I replied. He grabbed my hand and led me towards the counter where Mr.Taylor was deeply engaged in a conversation with a young man sitting at the counter. James cleared his throat and whispered something to him across the ledge. I observed him with a mixture of intrigue and fascination, my eyes tracing his every movement with a sense of wonder and curiosity. "I want to show you something," he said while taking my hand again and leading me down the room to a door. Mr.Taylor came from behind the counter and opened the door. There was a cramped passageway that led to a staircase. James walked me through, into the attic room. 

(Hello sorry for it taking a while I just forgot to publish it. Also sorry that it's short. Also the image at the top is Luna. The image is AI generated. There are some differences but AI isn't perfect (especially with a person who has a hard time describing what they are imagining). I planned on having multiple images up there but I couldn't figure it out so I'll just release the images 1 at a time.)