Part 3: Mute Denial

(Hey y'all! I'm alive! Sorry for it taking so long. Writer's block. Just wanted you to know that life got busy. The next part is going to be amazing 'Hopefully' I already know what I am going to write. But, sadly though my mortal body needs sleep. The image up top is of James. Also I realized that I can put images in the text body so you will be able to see what I imagine. All of my images are AI made <EXCEPT FOR THE ONE IMAGE IN (CONTINUATION) PART 1: THE SILENT PINES>   Anyways, Enjoy!)

Warm and inviting flickers of light came from a candle chandelier hanging from the ceiling. The wall's foundation was solid stone, evolving gracefully into a wooden finish with a circle window. In the large attic sat a square table and cushioned stools. Through the circle window I could see the town hall, a silent guardian of the bustling town below. I was then seated in one of the stools while Mr.Taylor went out of the room. "I came here when I was little," James said, snapping me out of my trance. "I noticed you looked a little uncomfortable with all of the people around us downstairs so I asked Mr.Taylor to take us up here," he finished. "I used to come here when I was little. I would play in the town square, with my parents," I trailed off furrowing my brows in the process. "Is something the matter?" James questioned. "Oh, my father left me a few years ago when my mother died." I answered. "I'm sorry" he uttered. "It's alright, I don't remember them very well," I lied. I didn't want him to have to feel sorry for me.

"My father died in a war protecting the king." He said. "I'm so sorry," I was at a loss for words. He actually understood my grief, probably one of the only people I've met that understands my pain. He reached over the table and grabbed my hand. "I will avenge my father when I become the king's royal guard," he said. "What?" I spouted. "I was chosen as the king's royal guard just recently," he explained, he continued,"I will begin in two months". "Wow," I murmured. "I was surprised as well, but my family has been helping the royal family for hundreds of years now," he said. "That's wonderful." I expressed. "Yes, I will be able to continue the family duty." He chided. He paused for a moment and looked out the window and then turned to me. "What do you do? You don't seem to be married, and you don't have any family to take care of you or your financial needs that I know of." He asked. "Actually, you don't have to tell me," he quickly added. "I'm a tapper, I sell tree sap." I answered. He seemed genuinely interested in the fact that I sell tree sap for a living. "What kind of trees do you tap?" He asked. "I only tap one, the red willow." I answered. "Where are these trees?" he asked. "Only one and next to my house." I answered. "Ah, I see," he replied. "Is there anyone who looks out for you?" he asked. He looked slightly worried, "Yes," I lied. There was Lillian but she lived far away. Then there was my father, mother, and David. They all left me. Although David and my mother didn't choose their fate, my father did. Lillian was the only person I ever opened up to after my parents. She let me in, she gave me a job offer and I accepted. I will never be able to repay my debt to her. Then Jade, I feel like she understands me though I will never know.

I shouldn't be opening up to him, he will just hurt me. He will leave me like all the rest. I don't know if I can take it. I've fallen in love with a man who will only bring pain. Is it even love? Am I just that desperate? Mr.Taylor walked in on the awkward silence and placed two plates on the table, each one consisting of a piece of bread and a beef soup, not thin enough to be considered a stew. We sat there in silence while eating. I tried to fill the silence that was warping and twisting around me, "Are you excited? For the position I mean." I asked. "Very, I will be able to protect the king just as my father did." he continued, "though I probably will never be able to come back here." I watched him trying to tell if he was lying. He was not, my intuition was correct, he was going to leave me. Even though I'm not surprised it still hurts. I didn't even know if he returned my affections, and yet I had still hoped. "Well, I'm glad you're happy." I said as he looked up from his food. "I should probably go to bed now, to be ready for tomorrow." I stated. I took my empty plate and bowl downstairs, into the ill-suiting lively chatter. I gave Mr.Taylor the bowl, who gave me a wide smile. I had been wearing a smile since I came down here. Why? I don't know.