─ ʙᴇᴀᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛꜱ, pt. 1.

Presley had received a message from her father early that morning. He wanted to meet her for lunch at Granny's.

She sits on the edge of her bed in Emma's home, clutching the crumbled up note in her hand. She stares blankly ahead, not noticing that she was being watched.

Wendy was standing in the dooropening. A sweet smile plays along her lips while she silently stares at her girlfriend for a moment. They had been through a lot in such a short time but it did nothing but strengthen their love. Sometimes it was difficult to deal with Presley's character, but she loves her and was willing to work through the challenges.

Because she knew Presley would go through fire for her as well.

The girl clears her throat, catching the attention of the girl on the bed. Presley looks up and smiles. "Hey," she says. Presley tries to stuff the note in her pocket unnoticed, but Wendy saw.

"What do you have there? A present for me," she asks, a teasing glint in her eyes. Wendy takes a seat besides Presley on the bed, silently waiting for her answer.

Presley chuckles. She digs the note up again and unfolds the crumbled up paper. She hands it to Wendy, who starts reading it.

"Dad wants to meet me for lunch. Perhaps he wants to introduce me to my stepmommy Zelena," she jokes, but there was no humour to her tone of voice. Wendy catches that. She rests her head on her girlfriend's shoulder and remains silent.

Presley sighs deeply, just as she always does just before spewing out her problems. It was exactly the moment that Wendy was waiting for and she patiently waits for Presley to unleash.

"I don't know if I should meet him. I mean, no matter what I think about him.. he is the one keeping us trapped here." Presley looks down at her nails. The last few days she had picked at it in a nervous fit. Her nailbed was bleeding as she had picked apart the skin. Scabs were starting to form at the places she stopped pulling at.

Wendy follows her gaze. Her hand reaches out to the other girl. Their fingers lace together like they've done so very often. "He might be a villain, but he is also trying to be a good father to you. You must decide for yourself which one of those matters most to you," she says in a soft spoken voice. Her other hand reaches out to tuck a lock of multicoloured hair behind her ear.

Presley glances sideways. A smile tugs at her lips at seeing the warm, gentle look on Wendy's face. She chuckles softly, squeezing their laced hands. "It's actually funny. All this time I wanted nothing more than to discover who my parents were, but now that I actually met my dad I am avoiding him.."

Wendy chuckles as well. Her laughter rings clear as water through the small bedroom. "Well, in your original thoughts I bet you weren't counting on your dad being the Lord of the Underworld." She gently nudges her shoulder teasingly against the other girl's shoulder.