Chapter 11: Rondel

A/N: Not much to say, aside from the fact this was supposed to be published in February. Yeah, really late.

About last chapter, just a note from the Spanish version: how the dragon was killed was defined beforehand, with Chapter 8 noting how modern planes were prepared to kill it off quickly. Reason why I picked British planes is because when I wrote this back in 2017, German air force was already pitiful, US was a newcomer, and the US and Russia wouldn't allow each other's modern planes in Falmart. Plus, it's students we're talking about. So, British were picked from being "the rest", even with the Special Relationship they have with the US. Not the brightest of my reasonings, but oh well, I was a bored highschooler back then. And even I knew how bad the Luftwaffe was doing. Apparently, it hasn't improved one bit.

So, regarding this chapter. Since it was roughly here when I decided not only to rush the remaining plot but also how to do it, this chapter is the whole Rondel Arc summed up with a couple twists. So, it's a long thing not that developed, but then again, we haven't exactly been following canon in this story for a while now, especially when it comes to Falmart locals. Just as a heads up, we're not even two months into the GATE at this point in the fanfic, and a fair amount was spent on fighting, so not really a lot of room for diplomacy and hearts and minds (which, admittedly, were never the focus of this story anyway).

Also, quick heads up: the character of Risa Tsukamoto is not canon Risa, but a character sent by a reader back in the day.

Disclaimer: "GATE: thus, the JSDF fought there!" and "Girls und Panzer" do not belong to me, all credit to their respective authors/owners. This is merely a fan-made project that seeks no monetary gain or compensation.

.

.

.

Chapter 11
Rondel

Ligs
D-Day +51
8:04 hours

Miho, accompanied by some of her subordinates, stared with wide eyes from a hill at the soldiers patrolling the remnants of what once was a town called Ligs, now barely mounts of rubble and stone created by the fierce combat there not even a week ago. Petrakov cursed under his breath at his absence for the battle, while the rest of the group exchanged glances between them and the improvised repairs that held the bridge together.

After a while, the quintet that was Miho, Maho, Petrakov, Hans, and Huxley headed back to the battalion's camp in the outskirts of town. On the way up they spotted the sentry rings around the ruins of the town on the other side of the river, sharply on the lookout for enemy personnel attempting to regain control of the bridge.

Miho led them to the command tent, briefly stopping to look around once both Petrakov and Maho noted the lacking number of soldiers. The Russian was quick to chalk it up the fight for Ligs, which he theorized, "any resistance harsh enough to warrant risking the bridge's integrity must've surely provoked casualties." Not long after they reached their destination, finding two captains speaking quietly with the major and excusing themselves as soon as the group appeared. Major Schmidt nodded at them, straightened his clothes, and tiredly allowed himself to relax a little on his campaign chair after briefly returning the salute.

"We have arrived, Herr Major," greeted Miho, lowering her hand from her temple.

"So I've seen," replied the German officer, making a slight nod. His eyes, however, betrayed a faint exhaustion.

"Excuse me, Herr Major, but I've noticed a lack of troops compared to the usual amount at the camp. Are they at the other side of the river?"

"Oh, that." Schmidt's dismissive attitude at the issue did little to calm Miho's worries. "We had some casualties in the battle. That imperial commander knew what he was doing, and he has mages to boost. I wonder how he ended up here, but at least he wasn't in command at Italica. Things would've turned very ugly very quickly with someone like that around."