Chapter 28

I thought there would be joy in this. Giles was right, he could scent that I was fertile, it only took a few tries to be sure of our heirs. Rubbing my still growing belly I stare over the grounds. Everyone is so joyus yet I'm more depressed. Lately my tears never seem to dry up, never seem to cease. Lennon and Cora decided to throw a celebration over the good news. The kingdom's spirits have picked up even if mine have plummeted. I hate this. I hear Ozul's familiar steps amble up to the door before he knocks a heavy sturdy sound.

"You may enter Ozul," I called, clearing my voice dabbing at my tears with a heavy heart. The door creaks open before it closes behind him, encasing his imposing figure in Giles and I's quarters.

"Giles sent me to retrieve you," he announces leaning against the wall, his hulking figure filling the wide door frame. His armor glints in the dull uneven sunlight that cracks through the clouds. "You're saddened," he states, tilting his head as I give a dying smile.

"Why shouldn't I be?" I ask, waving my hand out the window. "Everyone is celebrating what could be my death, my children's death. If possible we are blessed with a healthy pregnancy, will I bear more? I haven't come to accept the reality. My children will be stolen from me, taking to the sky to forever be gone. I haven't mourned my past life nevertheless the terrible destiny," I shrug, bitter as I wipe away more tears.

"You are destined to be Queen," Ozul shrugs watching me with his orange eyes flickering like flames.

"If you've come to gather me for a meal, please leave me be. I'm not hungry," I wave him off. He chuckles softly making me stare at him arching my own brow.

"Many a woman would kill to be Queen. Kill to share Giles bed, taken by him and be accepted by the royal family," he states mockingly.

"Yet I was the one betrothed to Giles. I'm the one that shall have her ribs torn from her body. My children are born with the burden of their own destiny. Our babes will be stolen from us to right the world- the weight that they will bear is not light. You expect me to be joyus knowing my children will be punished if they live," I seeth facing him feeling every emotion swarm my mind like wasps after their hive was attacked.

"You have strong feelings about this," he smiles slightly. "You will make a good mother."

"My children will resent being born, my twins will only know our love for a short while until they are called to duty. I am not a good mother," I wag my finger at him forcing a breath from my body. "My children are my pride and my shame, I will have failed them if they live." How could they ever forgive me, knowing the destiny that lies ahead?

"Did you resent your parents for birthing you into poverty?" His question makes me stare at him confused.

"Being born poor and being born knowing your life is meant for one thing-"

"Greatness," he interjects, staring me down hotly. "What you view as a punishment as a human, a dragon view as an honor. Your babes will be blessed with greatness, honored and prayed upon- called on for blessings, for their magic. They are not workers but healers of our people. They will be born with instincts and to deny them that you will lock them in a cage and punish them to darkness."

"They will be slaves-" He raises a fist, eyes glittering, glowing with fire as he stares me down.

"You may be my Queen, but you will not accuse my race of such barbaric customs. Stop seeing your pain and see what the dawn of this kingdom sees. We lost Honey and Oberon, we lost our guidance, our ancients, our saviors. Giles thought he lost you, his dragon feared your death- felt you slip away. Yet you dare stand before me whimpering at what could be?" I stop cold, feeling the swirling storm still.