16. The Prisoner of Time

Songs:
Fleetwood Mac – Gypsy
Tom Tykwer – Temple Of Sacrifice
R.E.M. – The One I Loved
The cloud atlas sextet

The winter had lasted far too long, and although it began to seem like it would last forever, it finally gave up. The snow melted. The frosts have stopped. The sun was bright and warm again. Everything was in bloom and the wind smelled of summer coming from afar. Spring has finally arrived.

The hour had just struck, meaning Utahime had finished work for the day. It was hard to sit in the office, seeing the intensely green trees, the sun and the whole beautiful day outside the window. Despite her tiredness, this beautiful and warm weather filled her with a bit of new strength - enough to go home. Adjusting her bag as it slipped from her shoulder, she was about to walk down the street to the bus stop, longingly thinking about the moment when she would get home and throw herself on the bed. However, she stopped abruptly in the driveway in front of the building.

''Huh?'' She furrowed her eyebrows, not believing her eyes. Oh, how she didn't want to believe what she was seeing.

''Utahime!'' Shoko exclaimed cheerfully, leaning out the side window of the car. Satoru waved at her from behind the wheel.

Immediately she felt all her strength leave her. Of all the things in the world, she least wanted to have to deal with these annoying two right now.

''What are you doing here?'' she asked, her voice full of resignation. She moved towards the car, just to stop Shoko from shouting at her from a distance.

"Together we came up with the brilliant idea that you must be really tired after work, so we came to pick you up and take you home," she said proudly.

Utahime, however, was less enthusiastic.

''No way. I won't do it. I won't get in the car with him.''

Shoko looked at her in surprise, as if she really hadn't expected such a reaction.

''Oh, no... Don't be like that''

'''I refuse. I love my life, and he'' she pointed at Satoru ''got drive license since two days.''

''Two days is a really long time. You can learn a lot. Look, on the first day he barely parked in front of our apartment building. Today he drives like a pro.''

''Absolutely not...''

But Shoko wasn't listening to her anymore. She hid inside the car again, mindlessly shouting:

''Come on, it'll be fun. We definitely won't die!''

Utahime rolled her eyes, completely unconvinced by these assurances. But she knew how tiring these two could be when they wanted something. The chances of winning against their stubbornness were small, so she gave up without a fight.

Summer is always one of the most longed for seasons. However, when it finally arrives, it turns out that the heat falling from the sky is a difficult opponent.

It was one of those lazy evenings when he and Shoko were sitting in his living room. The sun was red and seemed to wave under the influence of the hot air, disappearing partially below the horizon.

The fan stood in front of the sofa and with a quiet hum emanated a gentle breeze of cool air, so blissful in the murderous heat.

Reflections of the setting sun entered the room, spreading onto the wall and floor. The heat was letting up, very slowly and reluctantly. The window was fully open, letting in the freshness of the evening.