12. Unexpected reaction

Songs:

Led Zeppelin - babe I'm gonna leave you
Chris Isaak - Lie to me

Satoru couldn't complain. He spent even more time with Suguru than ever, he had him almost exclusively. The band's case remained unclear. The boy showed no interest in making up with Mei, and when Satoru tried to ask what he was going to do now, he simply replied just let it be. How can a man be so ignorant about the things he supposedly cares about? Satoru's simple mind couldn't understand it.

Sometimes he felt like the whole thing bothered him more than Suguru himself. And just when he was starting to believe that nothing would change, the solution came by itself. Suddenly and unexpectedly. It's just that one day Suguru mysteriously announced that he had already talked to Mei and the rest of the band and that everything was fine between them.

Satoru looked at him in surprise, searching for any sign of a lie or joke. Suguru looked very convincing, but there was a little red light in the back of his head that didn't allow him to fully believe these words. Could it really be that simple?

But it really was. The whole band spent time together again. Maybe even more often than before.

When Satoru started asking for details, the black-haired man simply looked away and smiled. He didn't say anything more about it.

It's actually possible, he thought, returning home one day. Considering the stubborn characters of Suguru and Mei, maybe they really are the type of people who, instead of saying sorry, prefer to keep silent about the topic, and when the emotions finally subside, simply pretend that nothing happened.

While busy observing the MIDNIGHT situation, Satoru missed another important fact. And when he finally realized it, the reality still didn't sink in.

The holidays were passing. Weeks of heat, hot nights and childish carefreeness were becoming only an increasingly distant memory. The thought terrified him.

As he entered the house, he noticed that both his parents were home. It was a very rare occurrence for everyone in the household to have a day off on the same day. He took off his shoes and jacket and walked deeper into the house.

"Satoru?" He heard a voice coming from the living room.

"Yes, I'm home," he replied, frowning.

"Excellent! Father and I were waiting for you," his mother exclaimed, strangely excited. The boy's alertness doubled. He entered the living room and looked at them suspiciously.

"What's going on?"

Father was sitting at the table in the living room, and mother was just coming out of the kitchen, drying her hands with a small towel. They both looked strangely happy.

"Come and see."

He approached the table and frowned, staring at several envelopes on the table.

"What's that? " His jaw clenched so tightly that he could barely get the words out. Even though he knew the answer, he didn't want to accept it.

"Universities have finally sent the admission lists. This morning I found them in the mailbox" Mother explained, sitting down at the table.

The truth was that Satoru had completely forgotten about it. During the entire vacation, he didn't even think about the recruitment results or what would happen after the holidays. He didn't even take into account that these holidays would end one day.

His heart leapt into his throat and he suddenly felt weak.

"Come on, open them! We can't wait too!" Woman looked more excited than ever.