Chapter 1 - Athena

A shrill sound cuts through Mrs. Bell's 50 minute lecture about procrastination.

I have absolutely no idea how procrastination has anything to do with English-the subject she actually teaches-but here I am thinking about how ironic and pointless this entire lecture is. I pack up my books as fast as I can and all but run out of the classroom, where my two BFF's, Kate Evans and Amy Norton are already waiting.

"That was possibly the most depressing way to end a Friday." complained Kate, frowning at her locker, "Do we have any homework for the weekend?"
"Who cares about homework, it's Bryce's party, remember?" Amy smiled, her nonchalant attitude towards homework was the reason she was a straight D student since the year started.
"We have to write a sonnet for English, an essay in which we write 700 words on the 'Women's' March to Versailles' for History and our research of 2 possible career fields we are interested in going into one day, for Life Orientation," I sighed, there was no way I was going to Bryce's party this weekend, I was loaded with reasons to hate school.

"I have to go, my mom's home for the weekend and she's insisting on a shopping spree-it's gonna be a long weekend," Amy sighed, probably already feeling sorry for herself.

"I have to go too, my mom is hosting a dinner tonight for all our friends, in other words her wealthy friends who only talk about money and politics, and I am gonna work on on my fake smile so I don't seem uninterested," Kate fake-smiled, grinning from ear to ear,"are you buying this, or should I turn it down a notch?"
"It's perfect," I laughed, amused at the things Kate pulled off. I walked to a sleek, black car where my chauffeur was patiently waiting.

"Good afternoon, Miss Verley, how was your day?" Hugo greeted.
"It was..." I trailed off, noticing a scary-looking man, very well-built, glaring at me. I got into the car very quickly and slamming the door closed a bit too hard.
"Is something wrong, Miss Verley?" Asked Hugo looking at me from the front mirror.
"Uhm.... no, I just can't wait to get home today," I replied distractedly looking back through the tinted black windows-the man had been there 2 seconds ago and now he was gone. Maybe I was just paranoid, but I decided that I should ask dad to get me my old bodyguard back, I always felt safer with Eddie.
I sat back against the soft, leather seats and took out my IPhone 5s, checking my Intsagram, Snapchat and Twitter for updates, my phone buzzed.
Hey sweetheart, just texting to say I landed safely in Milan for fashion show. Will be back Mon, lve u!💋 -mom
Great. Quality time with dad this weekend-maybe it's good that I have so much homework to do, at least I won't have to watch football with dad.