Ch. 02

The ride to the school is an awkward one. I sat in the passenger seat of Erika's silver jeep as she drove, driving past the 'Welcome To Blackwood Falls' sign on the way back into town. My head rests against the window as I watch the pine trees roll by. All I was thankful for is that I was glad I didn't have to walk. Besides, there's something enchanting when it comes to riding in a car in silence. Something that brings you into another world. I prefer to watch the sky as I am a passenger, daydreaming what it'd be like to fly amongst the clouds and what they would feel like. Being in this state makes me forget having to worry about how I am going to explain to Erika or my Aunt where I was and why I was at the police station.

Erika wastes no time to get down to business.

"So, mind telling me why you were at the police station and bugging my mom for the hundredth time?" Erika asks, prodding into my business.

"If I told you, I know you would've stopped me. Why don't you take a wild guess?" I say.

"Hmm, let me think. You think you found another clue to your parents and their case and you thought it'd be good to ask my mom again?" Erika answers.

"Bingo."

"Adaira, you can't keep doing that." Erika then goes on to say.

I frown. "And why not?" I ask.

"Because, my mom's job isn't exactly an easy one. She's got the whole town on her toes right now, you know? You constantly asking her to see the files for your parent's case isn't helping. Especially right now." Erika explains.

I knew that all too well and while yes I felt bad, I also knew that if I didn't act now, I wouldn't have a chance later. Who knows how long she will keep those documents and I know they have them. I just want to find my parents and those documents are the key to everything.

"Look, I know figuring out what happened to your parents is important to you. I've known this since the twelve years I've known you but don't you think it's time to move on? You've been going at this for years non stop. I don't wanna act like your mom, I just wanna be a friend and quite frankly, you have us all worried." Erika admits.

I shake my head.

"Erika you don't understand, I can't stop. Not now. The fact that our town is being constantly harassed right now makes for the best course of action to keep trying. Especially with Trista missing. I know I'm close to figuring it out. If I could just get those papers for once then I will stop but until I do, I can't." I explain.

"I get that it's just... I just want you to know that just take it easy with my mom alright? She's got a lot on her shoulders. Her boss is especially making her on edge. If my mom doesn't solve these attacks by the end of the month she may get terminated." Erika states.

She might get terminated?! That is news to me and not good news either. Sheriff Bennett is the town's favorite officer. A lot of people would be angry if she were to be removed from her place as police chief. She understood the people of this town, she was always there for us. I don't want her to get fired. That's even more of a reason for me to get those documents from her.

"You can come to me for help, okay? Plus I'm just making sure you aren't going insane and obsessing over it too much." Erika says, I look over at her and see that she gives me a small smile not long after her eyes return to the road.

"Don't worry, I won't go crazy. The moment I go crazy you can say you told me so." I say as my attempt to reassure her.

"The moment you go crazy, I'm handcuffing you to my hand and I'm not letting you out of my sight." Erika says. I roll my eyes. Erika was always so dramatic.