019 | wabi-sabi

SERENA

SERENA

"It's tastes good, doesn't it?" Dawn asked as she took a big bite of her pink cottin candy. Serena nodded, enjoying the sweet taste melting in her mouth.

"This is my first time eating cotton candy" She admitted bashfully. There used to be a cotton candy seller that would pass by her orphanage every Sunday. Serena and May would gather round the big window panes, pressing their faces on the glass to catch a glimpse.

They would watch the cotton candy seller hand out different colors of the fluffed candy cloud to parents who would in turn pass it on to their excited children. For some reason, Serena couldn't get that image out of her head for most of her childhood.

"Once Palermo, who owned the orphanage, bought cotton candies for all the children. All of the children were eating theirs but I gave mine to May. Looking back at it, I think I used to believe that cotton candies were some sort of privilege only meant for kids who had parents."

"It must have been tough; growing up without your parents" Dawn said sympathetically. "I never got a chance to meet my dad and I used to feel that I was very unlucky for it. Growing up I realised how lucky I really am to have Mum."

"I have heard about Mrs. Bertliz." Serena said, remembering all the magazines that featured the iconic fashion designer. "I love all the designs she has made."

"Well, I am sure Mum is a very good designer" Dawn giggled. "But wait till you see my designs! I am sure you are gonna like them more!"

"I don't know" Serena smiled slyly. "Her designs have set the bar way too high. They are kinda hard to beat."

"Oh please" Dawn scoffed playfully, nudging her. "Once we are back in Paris, I am going to take you to my exclusive high-end boutique, Voeux. I wonder you will say the same after I show you the new dresses I had designed for fall."

"Can't wait" Serena smiled. "And I am sure they would be wonderful."

Dawn smiled back. Suddenly Dawn's phone rang, Lavender Haze sounding a faint buzz through the crowded Hawaii.

"It's Paul" She said, looking at her caller ID which read My Ice Cube. Serena bit back a giggle. Dawn was so real for that.

"Yo" Dawn greeted as she picked up the phone. "Wha -? Yeah no . . . No wait, seriously? . . . Alright."

"What's wrong?" Serena blurted out as she watched her friend's face turn gloomy.

"Well, I have to run back to the hotel" Dawn muttered, rolling her eyes.

"But we were going to watch the sunset on the beach" Serena frowned, disappointment creeping in her words. She didn't hesitate to show how upset she was, if it meant that Dawn would change her mind.