Chapter 1

Maya White - after 9 years

Just after the last commit of my code, Tania - the closest colleague and friend I had - entered my office. We worked in a corporation that developed programs for healthcare, and often after work, we would discuss the scenarios we went through during the day, so her arrival was no surprise to me.

"Tell me you're done for today, Red. I really need a drink after this shitty day," Tania said, using her pet name for me derived from the color of my hair. Even though I hated it, I let her call me that because the desire to be accepted like a normal person was far bigger than any fear I had in the past.

"Still problems with the Stomcare project?" I asked mechanically, meanwhile proceeding to turn off my computer.

She gave me a disappointed look, raising an eyebrow. "Have you forgotten our deal? If I use the word 'shitty,' you have the responsibility to change the subject."

I smiled and nodded. Tania was so full of life, and she came into my life like a breath of fresh air.

"My apologies, miss. Wanna go grab a bite and maybe some alcohol to improve your mood?"

That was the moment I realized she was already ready to go, so I took my bag and phone. "Maya, you need to start listening to me. Lead the way, woman."

So we took a cab to a French brasserie that we frequented regularly. Just after our favorite cocktails arrived, she went to the restroom, and I was left to face a part of my life I thought was forgotten.

A strange man with a look I knew too well from the time I lived with my father approached our table and left me a note. My pulse pumped in my ears, and even though I had never experienced a panic attack, I somehow knew I was not far away from one. Questions and scenarios unfolded in my mind. Was that the end? My first regret was that I never traveled to Europe.

My hands trembled when I opened the paper. I recognized Lorenzo's writing even after all these years.

"Come to the address below tonight at 10, daughter. And don't even try to run again, or this time you'll understand what I am capable of."

The problem was, I knew what he was capable of, and this time I had something to lose - nine years of rebirth and a taste of a normal life. When Tania returned, I made an excuse to leave without needing to explain my fear and anxiety. I went home to my rented apartment and brought to light the 9mm gun I had kept from that terrible night. It was so long ago when I held a gun; I didn't even know if I still had the guts to charge it. I changed into my running black outfit and waited for the time to leave for the meeting with my monster.

When I arrived at the address from the note, I became ten times more alert because it was a warehouse somewhere outside the city. Of course, the only people there were Cosa Nostra men. I expected an army, but instead, I saw only a car parked outside. When I entered, Lorenzo was seated in a chair at a table, flanked on both sides by two burly gangsters. He had changed a lot. His face was older, and I noticed a scar under his left eye. I hoped to never see him in my life again, but apparently, God gave me a limited time of happiness. I expected to be more afraid, but I surprised myself when the only emotion was anger.

He gestured to the chair in front of him. "I prefer to remain standing. Let's get over with it, what do you want from me?" I asked blatantly.

He laughed like a maniac, and I shivered. "Now I see my daughter finally. Although patience was one of the many lessons I gave to you. So sit the fuck down, before I make you!"

After all, he remained the same bastard. I resigned myself to take a seat, aware of the gun I had tucked under my hoodie.

"Good. Now that we've started to get along, I need to remind you of the last time we saw each other. You betrayed me like a paid whore when I needed you the most. And now is the time for you to pay me back for everything I lost that night."