Logic

Athena's Pov

My heart shattered into pieces when he opened the door to my room. He was gonna leave me here. He’s not gonna care for me now that his job is done.

I hugged him tightly. It felt like this was the first and last time that he helped me without a motive of his own. I really didn't want to forget the memories of being in his arms, feeling the safest I've ever felt.

I managed to control my tears when he put me on the bed. I was reluctant to remove my arms from around him but I did and placed them in my lap.

I couldn't meet his eyes after what happened. And the worst part was I couldn't bring myself to regret it. If I didn't try to sneak out, Hades wouldn't have prioritized me over his work.

For some reason I didn't want to turn back time.

I don't want to need this but I can't help my stupid mind. He was so gentle. I missed his warmth. Even his scent was so comforting.

What's wrong with me? It hasn't been five minutes since he said the first few nice words to me and I was already ready to forget everything and only focus on the good.

Why am I so gullible?

It doesn't take a man any time to lure me in. Just a few gestures of love and care and I'm ready to give them all of me. I voluntarily sign up to get hurt.

I expected him to leave but he sat down beside me. “Did you try to sneak out?” He asked without a hint of anger or judgment in his voice.

“Yes.” I admitted keeping my eyes glued to my hands. 

“Why?”

“I… I had to go meet someone.” I mumbled.

“Why was it so urgent?”

“She needed money.”

“Who?”

I gulped contemplating whether to lie or not. But he was being so nice, I felt obliged to tell him the truth. I always give out what I shouldn't, when someone is nice.

“My mother.” I finally said.

I peaked up to look at him but he was as calm as ever. He sure didn't know I was still in contact with her then it leaves only one reason for his lack of reaction. He doesn't care.

“Why would she ask you for money?” Because she knows I'll give her whatever I have.

Angela; the woman who gave birth to me has been a private stripper for more than two decades. But since she's around forty four now, she doesn't get too many calls for work. The only people who ask for her are the ones with an old woman kink or those who want to be dominated.

She does manage to earn enough to get by but most of it she loses due to her addiction of gambling. And so she calls me for help. She tries to persuade me with sugar coated words and phrases of affection.

I have known her enough to understand it's all lies but when she begs, I feel guilty not to help. I don't feel any stupid emotions for her —neither does she— but I still haven't cut off contact with her.

“She was short on rent and… she’s struggling with her work, you know because of her age… So she sometimes takes a couple of dollars from me if I have some extra.”

He nodded. “I’m guessing dad doesn't know about it?”

My eyes widened with realization of what I've just done. “Please don't tell him. He told me not to ever meet my mother but I was just curious and… please don't do this to me.” My eyes were watering again.