meet me

he's there and you're here. so you meet in the middle.
every year, you find a place and it's always the happiest, no matter where it is.

it's not always easy, the money, the time, the friendship. but you do it, year after year. and you change, but always together. you call it friendship, he calls it connection.

one year you don't have the money, he doesn't have the space, he has a girlfriend. he wants to stay, he says and you say, me too.

the year after that the girlfriend leaves and you meet again. it's not the same, it's fragile and tense. and then you tell the truth, and then he apologizes. you meet, and meet again, in the middle.

the girlfriend runs back but he doesn't stay. it's a connection, he stays firm this year and the next.

and three years later you're about to meet and he calls.
"I'm sorry, she's pregnant." Your throat is in knots. "We're going to get married." he nods to himself and to you.
this year you both stay where you are, he there, you here. it's not right of you to keep him. you let him go, you stay.

you move, from year to year, but you never meet.
you go,
you leave,
you run.

you know you won't meet someone again, because you don't want to. because he met someone and won't leave. you think about leaving forever, but there are still places to run to. you're never out of places.
you run so far for so long until you want to stay.

then you see him, and he sees you. and he's right there and you're right here.

and you meet

in the

middle
.