Part 1

CHAPTER 1: THE ISLAND

Koko and Dixie live on an island.

The island is small and so is the community that lives there. In the summer, the weather is hot. People visit the island from all over. The visitors bring their boats, planes, jet skis and kayaks. In the winter, the weather is freezing. You can't step outside without bibs, boots, gloves, and a hat. Plus, all the layers that go underneath. During the cold months, the locals go ice fishing and drive their quads. If the water freezes enough, then the locals can drive their snowmobiles and quads to the neighboring islands. This is the way of the island.

There are forests throughout the island and the west side of the coast is a huge cliffside. The land is sprinkled with small lagoons and caves. This island belongs to a group of islands.

When people think about islands, they might picture sandy beaches and palm trees. This island is different. It is rocky. The caves have tunnels and glimmering geodes. Oak, maple, walnut, and pine trees make up the forests. Purple wildflowers grow over the forest floor and morel mushrooms can be gathered to eat in the spring. The island is a rock in the water and the beaches are made up of finely crushed shells and sea glass.

The island is home to many fascinating creatures. There is no shortage of birds. Owls, peacocks, birds that stay and birds that visit. Birds that are friendly and eat out of your hand like the chick-a-dee, named after their distinct chick-a-dee-dee-dee vocalizations. And birds that fight, like the red winged blackbird. There is a famous one-legged red winged black bird that lives in the park downtown. He swoops on everyone, but he never hurts anyone. We don't know why he does it. Instinct maybe.

Other island wildlife includes island deer, coyotes, snakes, salamanders, turtles, and toads. There is even a giant goldfish that lives off the docks, who must have been flushed down the toilet by an island kid. He doesn't mind, he is living a bountiful life of algae.

Koko and Dixie are dogs. Dixie is silver and her ears are big and round and floppy. Her tail is short and when she is excited or nervous her tail wags and shakes her whole body. If she is sitting it acts like a small dust broom and clears any debris on the floor surrounding her. Dixie is every bit of the word sophisticated. Koko is a brown dog. Her tail is long like a whip and her ears are bouncy. Sometimes, when she is perplexed, one ear will be up and the other down. They are quite fun ears. Some might say her best attribute.

Crazy field might be their favorite place on the island. Crazy field is a baseball field, but it isn't just any baseball field. It is their field. The sand is covered in paw prints and deer tracks. The baseball diamond has little pieces of shells and beach glass, probably carried in from the shoes of school kids or the paws of Koko and Dixie.

In the summer, the school kids sell hot dogs at the games, which is Koko's favorite food. This requires constant observation of the field and at times, some trickery.

 This requires constant observation of the field and at times, some trickery