Chapter 8

Tyler.

The sunlight from the morning sun tried to pour through my blackout curtains and into my room. Of course, the curtains blocked out most of the light, though the little bit that seeped in came right to my face. My eyes fluttered open slowly from my deep slumber. I was wearing the crop top and sweatpants that I bought from yesterday. Every part of me wanted to still be all snuggled up in my blankets because it was really cozy, but today was the big day. Justin's birthday party was tonight, which is going to be my first typical high school party. I groggily got out of my comfy bed to start getting ready for the party, even though I knew it was later tonight.

My parents did give Skyler and I an earful about where we were yesterday after school. We ended up telling them that we were out shopping with our two friends. Once they finished throwing their hissy fit about not communicating, we went our own separate directions. They are literally the definition of greedy helicopter parents.

I went downstairs to grab some wrapping paper, scissors and tape. My parents were still asleep, which was a good thing because then I didn't have to answer any of their questions. They would've asked about the present and who it was for. Not gonna lie, I didn't want them in my personal life since they're already up in my career. I went back upstairs with the wrapping supplies in my hands. When I got back inside of my room, I brought the shoe box out of the Adidas shopping bag and onto my desk.

For someone who is good at a lot of things, wrapping gifts didn't seem to be one of them. No matter what I did it looked like a toddler was doing this. Maybe I should ask Skyler for help, but then she would know who these were for. Oh who cares, I can't give Justin whatever this is. Before going to find Skyler I took a breath and shot a message to the group chat making sure everyone was still going tonight. I received all the confirming messages and responded with a smile.

"Hey Skyler, are you busy? Would you be able to help me wrap a gift? I seem to be having issues with it...sad to admit but I need help." I lowered my tone to try and hide my insecurities.

Skyler agreed to help and headed back upstairs with me to do the wrapping. As we passed by my parents room we could see them getting up to start their morning. Knowing we didn't want to have any confrontation with them we tried to scurry past their room and back into mine. We thought we were in the clear until my mother stepped into the room.

"Do you plan to go somewhere? Who's the present for?" She asked as she leaned against my doorway

I felt a lump form in my throat as I began to panic at her question. Skyler could see the sudden state of panic I had entered and stepped up to the plate for speaking

"We have a birthday party for one of our friends from school tonight. This gift is for him from us." Skyler stated as she put the finishing touches on the present. I still don't understand how someone could wrap things so nicely

"You didn't think to ask permission before assuming you could go out and party? Do you know how unsafe that could be for you two!" She started to raise her voice, clearly angry at the thought of us going out

She fully entered the room with our father soon following behind

"Carter honey please explain to them how this is a bad idea for them." My mother demanded as she whipped around to face him

"Kids, your mother kind of has a point...going there could be bad for your reputation."

"Could be bad?" Her voice raised again "It could completely destroy everything we've worked our asses off to build for you! Do you not understand the damage being at a party could cause?"

I started to feel my chest get tight. We don't normally upset her to the point she yells at us but when she does, it's like releasing a bear who's lost their cub.