vi. sense of humility

• Dedicated to The Old Me

Chapter VI

          "I had hoped to be disliked by most, not by way of rebellion, but by way of excellence, disdain for the habitual, and the common man's inability to grasp this.  The act of being scorned?  I saw it as a victory, my irreverent boast against the world which could never fully quench me."  

- Coco J. Ginger

                                                 AS SHE WALKED INTO THE ROOM, MARNEY CAUGHT MAYA'S EYE.  She looked like a mess; her hair was pulled up in a bun and she was wearing a pair of black sweatpants with a baggy sweatshirt.  The look in her eyes was slightly bewildered, which alarmed Maya.  It also caused a bitter taste to thicken in her mouth as the bile rose in her throat. 

          "Marney?"  She asked, walking up to her and lightly running her hand down her shoulder.  She spun around to face Maya quickly; the bewildered look in her eyes now changed to fear and horror.  When their eyes connected, Marney breathed a sigh of relief and nodded. 

          "Are you okay?"  She asked, worried now for her friend. 

          "I'm fine . . . "  Marney whispered, her voice cracking with the obvious lie, making a pain explode through Maya's chest.  She eyed Marney before nodding and wrapping her arms around her.  Marney welcomed the embrace; she hadn't felt comfort in over two years. 

          "You're a mess, Marney," Maya chuckled to hide her worry, causing Marney to just nod into her shoulder and let a tear fall.  Everyone in the room was doing their own thing; talking and laughing with one another, sharing experiences or just making small talk before the host got there. 

          That's how things have always went before Maya arrived.  Ever since her appearances at group became scattered, everyone went back to their old ways.  It was almost as if Maya's entering the room that first day created a new tradition -- the tradition of not taking words for granted. 

          It didn't take long for Marney to break the embrace, suddenly uncomfortable with another person touching her.  That was her main reason of having Yuki; she could cuddle and hold him when she needed to cry and he wouldn't hurt her like everyone else managed to do. 

          "Marney . . . "  Maya began, but was cut off by the speaker. 

          "If everyone could take their seats, we could begin," he said.  The calmness and easiness of his voice seemed misplaced; as if he should've been more impatient and snappy than this.  Without protest, everyone did just as he'd asked and settled in for the hour long meeting they'd all came to this room to participate or listen to. 

          Maya didn't know if she should have even came tonight; Marney's appearance was only testament to her thoughts and worries.  She really was a mess -- the only thing that seemed to anchor her here was that hug she'd shared with Maya.  

          Looking around the room, Maya knew she had to speak tonight.  She had a lot to say but she didn't know how to word it all.  She was hoping that a break in her words would allow for a beneficial understanding to flood throughout the room, but she wasn't banking on it.  She wanted everyone here -- especially Marney -- to know they weren't doing it alone. 

          But most importantly, she wanted to know she wasn't doing it alone.

          Before Maya could stand, Norman walked through the doors.  He slowly made his way over to the seat next to her and sat down.  Then, he looked over at her with an apologetic smile and nodded.  She returned the smile, but it wasn't genuine.  Norman caught the sad look in her eyes, causing her to nod her head toward Marney, who was standing and heading to the podium.