Intoxicated Romance

— — — — —

12:23 am.

"How are you feeling?" Drax asks with a chuckle as we approach the condominium.

I turn to him, a wide grin spreading across my face as I give a big thumbs up. "Fantastic!" I reply enthusiastically.

He laughs, the sound filling the air with warmth as we enter the building. Once we reach our room, Drax opens the door for me, and I practically race inside, flopping down onto the couch with a contented sigh.

"Wow, this couch is so much comfier than the last guy's!" I mumble into the soft cushions, my words slightly slurred.

As I kick off my heels, letting them thud onto the floor behind me, I hear Drax's footsteps approaching. He stands over me, his presence comforting and familiar.

"You're in my bed, you know," he remarks, his tone teasing yet gentle.

"Mhm," I murmur in response, not bothering to move.

"Mhm," he echoes, a smile playing at the corners of his lips as he begins to remove his shoes. "And I would like to sleep here tonight."

I groan playfully, sitting up straight next to him and glancing out the window. "Wow, I forgot we were right on the beach!" I exclaim excitedly.

"Can we go down there?" I ask, perching on my knees next to Drax.

He chuckles again. "Right now?" he questions, his fingers deftly untying his boots.

"Mhm!" I nod eagerly, placing my hands on his shoulder for emphasis.

"Why?" he inquires, turning his head to look at me.

"Well, I dunno, maybe for a quick swim?" I suggest, a hiccup betraying my slightly intoxicated state.

"Shelby, no way, not tonight," he says firmly.

"Huh, why not?" I pout, sinking back down onto the couch.

"It's freezing cold out there. Didn't you notice on the walk here? You were shivering," he explains, concern evident in his voice.

"Soooo?" I ask, pouting slightly. "I used to swim in the freezing waters of Earth all the time..." I frown, attempting to muster up a convincing argument.

"Listen, I don't want you in the water while intoxicated," Drax commands, his tone firm and unwavering.

"I'm not even int-" I hiccup, "oxicated!" I protest, my words slurred.

"Shelby, you absolutely are. Look at yourself," he insists, turning to face me with a concerned expression.

"You're a mess," he says softly, shaking his head gently.

I whine and continue to protest until he reaches out, gently gripping my chin with his hand.

"I think you should get some sleep now," he suggests, his touch tender yet firm.