Gregory's Return

As expected, the company was practically paralyzed the next day, with employees wandering about, all buzzing with talk of the chairman's death and his son-in-law's affair. These two explosive pieces of news thrilled several media outlets: wealth, murder, extramarital affairs, and dismemberment were hot topics bound to draw attention. Reporters swarmed the front of Max's real estate company, their flashbulbs blazing at anyone who emerged.

Max's real estate sales center was closed for business, but even if it had remained open, it's doubtful anyone would have come to buy. Clients were concerned whether the company, struck by such calamities, would go bankrupt.

Rebecca returned too, going straight from the Wellington police station to the North Shore station, transitioning from being related to one murder case to being a suspect in another. Her day was a trial by fire.

In the afternoon, a weary Rebecca returned to the office, soon followed by Liam. According to Nathan, including Jennifer, all three had solid alibis for the time of Ariadne's murder. Daisy thought, with their wealth, would they really need to commit murder themselves? She believed Nathan thought the same and he instructed Daisy to keep a closer eye on Rebecca.

Many company executives familiar with the chairman were also summoned by the police to give statements. The company was abuzz, everyone wearing grave expressions. Rebecca shut herself in her office as soon as she arrived—her office's plumbing issues had been resolved, and she was back in her deputy general's office.

In all this chaos, no one noticed a tall man emerging from the elevator. He dragged a suitcase, wore a checked shirt and jeans, and had long hair that fell to his neck. His eyes were narrow, lips thin, and his features bore some resemblance to Rebecca's. He looked solemn but radiated a laid-back, relaxed vibe, like that of an artist. Daisy's instincts kicked in; if she wasn't mistaken, this man was Maximilian's only son, Gregory.

Indeed, Ela spotted him and couldn't help but exclaim, "Ah, Gregory!" Her voice was so loud that the doors of Rebecca and Jennifer nearly flew open simultaneously.

Rebecca, abandoning her usual ladylike composure and authority, ran to the man and embraced him tightly, sobbing uncontrollably, "Brother! Dad's gone!" Her grief made her seem like a little girl. Gregory, too, hugged Rebecca tightly, tears streaking his handsome face.

Jennifer, who could be considered his former fiancée, was tearful yet motionless, maintaining the posture of one who had just opened a door. However, when Gregory saw her, he nodded in acknowledgment. Another person rushed over and hugged Gregory from the other side, crying dramatically, "Greg, you're back! What are we going to do now that Dad's gone..."

Gregory managed a weak smile, "Auntie, don't cry! Everything will be alright."

Aurelia—Maximilian's cousin and the finance director—was a mess of tears and smeared makeup. Jennifer quietly retreated to her office, closing the door behind her to leave them some space.

Thankfully, Rebecca led her brother directly to the VIP meeting room instead of her own office. There, comfortable sofas awaited the weary Gregory, a blessing since the listening device remained in place there.

The device still picked up the low sobbing of the two women. Gregory sighed deeply, "Becca, where's Liam? Why isn't he with you?" Rebecca sobbed even harder. Aurelia, ever blunt, said, "His mistress got into trouble, he's got no mood or face to stay here!" She then recounted the incident with Ariadne to Gregory. Gregory was silent for a long while before saying to Aurelia, "Auntie, I'm tired, and I'd like to talk to Becca alone for a bit..."

Aurelia left, understanding the hint. After the door closed, Gregory slowly asked Rebecca, "Becca, tell me the truth, did you have anything to do with Liam's mistress's incident?" Daisy, eavesdropping, felt her heart nearly leap out of her throat.

No sound came from Rebecca; she might have been shaking or nodding her head.

Then came Gregory's long sigh, "Becca, I'm really tired, but I think I should go see Dad first. Has his body been brought home?"

Rebecca's response was to burst into tears once again.