HIT SQUAD

We walked over to the vehicle garage and got ready to leave, putting on our gear and holsters. The gun dealer came with our weapons and holsters, and let us load our own magazines from ammo boxes.

"Get three full magazines each. And you, pink-hair, I figured you might need some extra crossbow bolts."

He threw a whole rail of bolts to me, with four lined up for easy access. I attached it to the bottom of my crossbow and it fit by some of the gun dealer's screws.

"You can reload a little faster now. Don't miss your shots."

Lynx started pushing cartridges into his new pistol. I got beside him, reached into the box, and loaded my magazines with him.

"Catori! What's the job?"

She marched up beside us and started to load her guns. "We're taking two SUVs, Bobcat threw armor on them too. One is for the security detail, another is for the hostage escort."

Lynx slid a magazine into his High Power and racked the slide. "How are we going in?"

"Fast and violent. There are also ponchos you can wear, to hide your guns. We don't want to cause panic. At least not too early. I want you and Bobcat with me. We'll get the hostage. 

Mercury can go with the security."

"No, I'll go with her."

Catori smacked her lips and squinted. "She'll be fine, the other guys know what they're doing."

Lynx shook his head. "If you're in charge something has to go wrong."

I made sure my pistol was working and tucked it away into a leather holster.

Catori refused to argue further and got in the first black SUV.

"Thanks for staying with me, Lynx."

"You're in the right. She's not in charge of you."

"Haven't you noticed she's got it out for me?"

Lynx tilted his head to the side, as he loaded some rifle bullets into FAL mags. "For what reason? All she cares about is her mission. If anyone gets in her way she'll do the quickest and easiest option to clear the path."

"Yeah, maybe even killing me!"

He grunted and shook his head. "Your kidnappers never tried to kill you, they wanted you alive if anything. They did try to send a message, and that's what counts. Think back on anyone you seriously messed with."

I pondered, putting my hands on the table and shifting my weight.

"Well there was..."

I felt a gloved hand hit my fingers. I looked up and a brown-haired man with a soft beard, in the casual Hawaii shirt, grabbed me for a handshake and shook Lynx's hand without warning, too.

"Man, watch it, I have a loaded gun in my hand!" He pulled away from the guy's grip. Instead, the bearded Hawaii held onto me.

"...Ummm-"

"Don't touch that table. You have delicate hands, and splinters wouldn't be good."

I finally yanked my hands out forcefully. "Maybe lend us one of your cool gloves, stranger?"

"I'm Paolo. Lovec told me about this mission, and I thought I'd lead."

"You lead? Catori's the leader here."

"Well, I thought I'd stay with the security force while Catori will lead hostage rescue. It's a dangerous world."

"I agree on that part... Don't scare the shit out of us next time, alright?"